How take nice photographs with bluebells in forest?

Name
Przemek
Edit My Images
No
Anybody knows few tips to photographs bluebells in forest.
What level of camera? ( high or low on tripod? )
What should be in foreground?
Best time of the day?
Whether ?? ( sunshine? Cloudy day?)

I looking for any help to take successful pictures of bluebells.
I tried few times before and all was good only to delete....

Please share with me and rest people on the forum with your tips.
If you have any examples please add your photographs for critique and for see how your tips works in practice....

Thanks for any help ( at the moment bluebells still are in the forests... )

I'd say on a day with a thin, even, layer of cloud if possible. That way there are no big contrast problems between the sunlit areas and shadow. If possible calm conditions too so that the flower spikes don't blow around in the breeze.

In the days of film it was virtually impossible to get blue bluebells if they were at all sunlit. The flowers went a ghastly shade of puce! I believe it may be easier now with digital.

Last edited:
Your question is too big to merit a simple answer. It's nowt to do with bluebells - it's about learning to see light and accommodating the camera functions to it. There's no formula. Relax, engage, seek your own path.

Last edited:
Thank you Chris. Your link was helpful.
That I thought back light from sun works perfect because flowers start show up more saturation and contrast in blue and green colours.I think cutch the light straid from the sun is very important and I can't take the same photograph in cloudy day....

Thank you Chris. Your link was helpful.
That I thought back light from sun works perfect because flowers start show up more saturation and contrast in blue and green colours.I think cutch the light straid from the sun is very important and I can't take the same photograph in cloudy day....

At the end of the day it's about creating a shot that matches the vision you have of it on your head. My vision may not be the same as yours ! :D

So true!

I've struggled to take good pictures of bluebell woods for a while. Chris's blog post remark about getting a low angle to intensify the colour is interesting - I've had reasonable results by shooting from a high angle to fill much more of the frame with colour.

I'd say on a day with a thin, even, layer of cloud if possible. That way there are no big contrast problems between the sunlit areas and shadow.

I find that some dappled shade really adds interest, but that's just my taste, so long as the highlights aren't completely blown.

I can't take the same photograph in cloudy day....

I'm not sure that's true. The bluebell image I like best of my own is this one.. http://www.1x.com/photo/574291 (sorry, can't embed from 1x to here)

I now think it's a little over-exposed and lacking sharpness but it's not bad for a handheld rush job on the way to work at ISO3200. I think that one of the reasons it works is that it has a prominent subject - the trees - rather than just a mass of colour. It wasn't good enough to get published on 1x.com, though!

Juggler photo from 1x looks good but this forest is with fog , fog and cloudy day - 2 different stories.
I like blue bells with fog as well. But with sunshine they looks more fresh...positive and more for spring.

Back