HOW THE TAX SYSTEM WORKS

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
HOW THE TAX SYSTEM WORKS

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay £1.
The sixth would pay £3.
The seventh would pay £7.
The eighth would pay £12.
The ninth would pay £18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20.' Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everyone's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

'I only got a pound out of the £20,' declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, 'but he got £10!'

'Yes, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a pound, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I did'

'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get £10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor'

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

indeed spot on
but them dam rich people done pay enough ;) :LOL:

Ver good Pete, I'll pass that on to my boss he'll definately appreciate it. Not sure the Liberal Democrats will though.

yes but it is the very rich AND the very poor that got us into this mess in the first place, and it will be those in the middle (i.e most of us here) that will pick up the bill for their stupidity

That's a very good observation that is......

Something that really bugs me about this "charging more tax to those who earn over £150k" though...

If I earned that much, I'd probably also have private medical care, I'd hardly use public transport, I'd live in an area that doesn't need a great deal of social care, and it's likely that my kids would go to a private school.

So why charge me more tax when I'm not costing the state that much in the first place ? :shrug:

Steve

yes but it is the very rich AND the very poor that got us into this mess in the first place, and it will be those in the middle (i.e most of us here) that will pick up the bill for their stupidity

How on earth do you arrive at that conclusion?........:shrug:

You missed the Eleventh man out.

The Eleventh man earns the same of the fifth man, but because he has no children and lives alone the barman has taken money off him elsewhere, to help pay for all the fathers in the bar.

that's the point of the tenth man not turning up on the second day and maybe drinking overseas :bang:

MY POINT, my friend, is that he wouldn't have been there in the first place to pay:bang: but thanks for your response:bonk:

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysnaps

How on earth do you arrive at that conclusion?........:shrug:

1) The bankers lent too much money to poor people who had no hope of paying it back

2) Well paid stockbrokers made a few mistakes

3) Well paid stockbrokers then milked the problem

4) Well paid politicians made a few more mistakes

5) The people in the middle will end up picking up the bill

6) I assumed (possibly wrongly) that most of us here were some ware in the middle, between very rich and poor

Just popped in to Out of Focus & saw the thread titles, coincidence or closely related ....

tax.jpg

:D

If I earned that much, I'd probably also have private medical care, I'd hardly use public transport, I'd live in an area that doesn't need a great deal of social care, and it's likely that my kids would go to a private school.

Those people who are doctor’s technicians and nurses needed educating and training and to be looked after if they become sick, taxation pays for this.

Yes you could live in a better neighbourhood , however you would still need the police and fire service , being rich does not make you immune from house fires and break ins ,how may privately educated bin men have you met?

As for private education, it was taxpayers who educated most of the teachers and support staff who work in these establishments, It’s a fallacy to say you can buy your way out of the state sector.

I can remember the boxer Frank Bruno saying that he would ‘leave the country’ if Labour got in to power, he to believed that he could buy his way out of the ‘state’ ., when he became unwell with a mental disorder it was the state funded police, ambulance service, psychiatric staff who cared for him and assessed him, the medication he was given was on the NHS , and yes he did eventually go private.

If he had lived in America he would have seen his fortune dwindle away with healthcare bills and medication costs. And I for one do not begrudge paying my taxes so the state could help him , that is why we live in one of the fairest and caring countries in the world and if people want to leave because they are asked to pay a little more tax when they are earning a fortune, then I will take them to the airport myself ! :wave:

Back