Beginner How to emulate someone

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

There is someone I follow on Instagram, Bidun Portraits. I love the way he edits his photos (on Instagram he commonly puts up a SOOC vs final edit) but I can’t nail it myself or find a suitable tutorial similar (I’m unsure how to search for the look I’m after)
I’m pretty sure it’s a lot of dodge and burn but then I don’t know what he does to get the colours.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or talk me through?

His name is Sergey Bidun from California or BidunPortraits on Insta

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bum2fIkFbUo/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=2ybanw8l791f

Hi guys.

There is someone I follow on Instagram, Bidun Portraits. I love the way he edits his photos (on Instagram he commonly puts up a SOOC vs final edit) but I can’t nail it myself or find a suitable tutorial similar (I’m unsure how to search for the look I’m after)
I’m pretty sure it’s a lot of dodge and burn but then I don’t know what he does to get the colours.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or talk me through?

His name is Sergey Bidun from California or BidunPortraits on Insta

I've had a crack at replicating in LR. A close as I'll get for 5 minutes but I think the key for his style is using split tones, you can see what I've done in the screenshot RE split toning. That's whats giving the distinct warmth in the shadows and then there's some greens in the highlights. No dodging or burning really just playing around.

o0yWi6P.jpg

- Warm up the white balance & shift the magentas to green somewhat, then increase the contrast
- Enhance freckles, possibly with a blue channel luminosity layer

There's loadsa dodging and burning to smooth out the skin. I can't tell from this size pic how much dnb work he's doing but it looks like it's probably a full 2-4 hour beauty retouch.

Ideally you'd do as much as poss in LR but you can get quite a long way towards this result in photoshop, too. Add a warming photo filter adjustment layer, and bung it in soft light mode and adjust opacity to suit. Tadah!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll give it a go next time I take a suitable portrait.

If you have a look at cinematic photography styles between blues and oranges on youtube, you'll get an idea of what split toning is about. I had to acheive plit toning with a cinematic style and there are loads of videos about of how to achieve this and with colours that complement each other as well using adobes colour wheel.

Back