how to find a good back surgeon ???

Edit My Images
Yes
I am likely to be needing some vertebrae fused in the very near future, and am in the hands of the NHS. However, a friend has offered to help out with the money if it means faster and better treatment.
So, now I need to find a good surgeon to entrust my spine to.
Any ideas ?

Steve... I'll do it for you... Well, i'll have a go at least!!

Mind you , im really an Amateur Gynie, but how hard can it be eh!!(y)

i have had the same operation.

My L5 and S1 were fused about fifteen years ago.

mr. maher halawa derriford hospital [nhs]
or private nuffield hospital

plymouth devon

Alistair Stirling. Royal Orthapeadeic Hospital Birmingham.

Two years ago I had a level 2 spinal fusion (two discs removed and fused) after three failed discectomies (part removal). Finally after 5 years of agony my back no longer causes me a problem. 4 titanium cages and 'A' frame in my back but not a year later I ran a 10K race in under 40 minutes. I literally trusted him with my life as without it I would have called it a day. Good luck.

Good luck with the hunt Steve but remember you can chose which surgeon you have ont eh nhs and well as private. But don't just look at the surgeon cos after care is important as well .

Many thanks for the suggestions !
Toothie, as you say, it is the whole package that is needed, but choosing on the NHS sort of depends on funding does it not ?
My ankle fusion is going to be done by a surgeon outside my area, so I am waiting to get the funding approved by my GP's 'board' - I guess that the same will need to be done for my back...
Remember kids - your health is so important, and you only start to understand why old fogeys always say that when it is too late...

Many thanks for the suggestions !
Toothie, as you say, it is the whole package that is needed, but choosing on the NHS sort of depends on funding does it not ?
My ankle fusion is going to be done by a surgeon outside my area, so I am waiting to get the funding approved by my GP's 'board' - I guess that the same will need to be done for my back...
Remember kids - your health is so important, and you only start to understand why old fogeys always say that when it is too late...

Steve as far as i understand it you have a right to chose which doctor in the nhs regardless of location, but within reason under the chose and book system. I haven't had to use it but its called chose and book im sure you can find the information on the web.

I was extremely lucky with my treatment.
I was in agony & told I needed an MRI scan to proceed & there was a waiting list on the NHS:(.
My parents paid for me to see a private surgeon at his clinic in Windsor.
By coincidence he was also the lead surgeon of the local NHS trust. He examined me & then placed my notes on his NHS list....I had the MRI a week later & the procedure shortly after (only paid for the consultation)
I can't be "mended" as such, but I'm not in pain 24/7 now :).
Best of luck.

Back