How to fix a loose front-end barrel on the 16-35L

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I checked to see if this had been covered before, however I couldn't see anything of relevance. This may be of use to anyone who needs to repair their 16-35 and wants to save a few ££'s.

NB: Use this guide at your own risk, I will not be held responsible if you go in there and permanently destroy your 16-35, always err on the side of caution.

Okay, this text acts as a guide to help anyone who has a loose front end on their 16-35L - you'll need a watch makers screwdriver set. Personally, I've now encountered three with the same issue and I only know three people that own one :wacky:

Okay place a thin flat headed screw driver between the focus ring rubber and the barrel.
IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

Peel the rubber grip up and over the lip that it normally resides in - if you're having difficulty just push the rubber grip down with your finger.
IMG_1307.jpg

Do this all the way around until you reveal a slot in the focus ring - don't worry if you don't see a screw in it, rotate the focus ring until you do.
IMG_1308.jpg

What you'll likely find as you rotate the focus ring is some loose screws, tighten them up with a small amount of torque, they don't need much.
IMG_1309.jpg

NB: If you discover that you're missing a screw at a particular location and you're sure that your lens has not been serviced or had this type of action carried out before then it could have migrated to the inside of the lens barrel - if you're lucky you wont have jammed anything although chances are you will. Rotate the focus ring until you see a gap then allow you to see into the lens barrel - give the 16-35 a light shake with the access hole pointing down in the hope that the screw drops through.

Once done, push the rubber grip back up.
IMG_1313.jpg

And you're done!

Cheers,

Ads

Glad it helped! I wasn't sure if it was a common enough thing to put up on here but even if it's helped one person save a heap of cash then it's done its job!

Enjoy the lens (again!)

Ads

Back