How to fix white balance

Name
james briscoe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I did a search here and couldn't find the information I was looking for and I also searched elsewhere online with no results. Maybe someone here can help.
I have a JPEG series of cityscape photos I took on my phone from behind windows. Perhaps it was the time of day I took the pictures where the sun was positioned in relation to each photo, but some of the photos have a very different color scheme from one photo to the next: the sky, trees/bushes, buildings etc. might be one color scheme in one photo and not the same color scheme in the next photo. For example some photos have a really yellowish tint to them and some do not looking more natural and unaffected by any color.
However....after trying the match color feature more than a few times matching the color schemes from one photo source to another is practically impossible using the match color feature.
I searched for information on various sites like https://maratstepanoff.com/white-balance-photoshop/ and https://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/645/how-to-fix-the-white-balance-in-photoshop-and-picasa/ and etc.
Surely there must be some other, (perhaps easier!), way to match the color schemes from one photo to the next?

The fact that these are JPEG images is probably the issue here. A JPEG has the white balance baked in when the image is saved, so any adjustments you make in an image editor will have a different effect depending on the original white balance of the image. The only way around this is to shoot raw, you can then set the image white balance to whatever you like in post processing. Most modern high end phones do have the ability to shoot raw files now.

The fact that these are JPEG images ...

Yes, I know. But the problem is that I edited in Photoshop and used the tips that I read on these sites. The white balance has become corrected but this is not perfect. I thought there was another way.

The only way around this is to shoot raw.

Another way would be to learn about WB and set at shooting.. OK not always possible.. But to suggest shooting in RAW as the only ay to have a correct WB is poor advice IMHO :)

Obvious answer - shoot RAW.

But for JPG you can still do a white balance correction in Adobe Camera RAW. You can access it with a JPG in Photoshop via the Filter menu.

The answer is almost certainly due to the WB which cannot be easily corrected in a JPEG file. The original Raw data is in linear form and the WB is applied in the camera for JPEG before the application of Gamma correction and saving as a JPEG. For Raw files the WB correction is also applied before Gamma correction and saving during the rendering process. So the problem is that you ideally need the image data to be in linear form to apply a WB adjustment which it is not if JPEG. Of course you can still make colour corrections to a JPEG file but it is more complex and may be difficult to find the right settings and the values may be very different for a related set of shots. As others have suggested, the easy answer is to use Raw where on simple adjustment may be made and then easily applied to a set of related images.

Having said that I find that I do not need to alter the WB very often in practice but it is difficult to predict when I will in advance.

Dave

I still believe you can't beat a proper cameras over a phone camera no matter how good they are. You just don't have the same control when taking photos .

Another way would be to learn about WB and set at shooting.. OK not always possible.. But to suggest shooting in RAW as the only ay to have a correct WB is poor advice IMHO :)

Absolutely correct there, my bad.

Hi, I did a search here and couldn't find the information I was looking for and I also searched elsewhere online with no results. Maybe someone here can help.
I have a JPEG series of cityscape photos I took on my phone from behind windows. Perhaps it was the time of day I took the pictures where the sun was positioned in relation to each photo, but some of the photos have a very different color scheme from one photo to the next: the sky, trees/bushes, buildings etc. might be one color scheme in one photo and not the same color scheme in the next photo. For example some photos have a really yellowish tint to them and some do not looking more natural and unaffected by any color.
However....after trying the match color feature more than a few times matching the color schemes from one photo source to another is practically impossible using the match color feature.
I searched for information on various sites like https://maratstepanoff.com/white-balance-photoshop/ and https://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/645/how-to-fix-the-white-balance-in-photoshop-and-picasa/ and etc.
Surely there must be some other, (perhaps easier!), way to match the color schemes from one photo to the next?

If you can find an area of relatively pure white in the natural looking shots and use those spots as a source for a white point in the "Remove Color Cast" dialogue in PhotoShop, that might do the trick. Matching shots with a different cast could prove difficult even if you had raw files to work with.

Back