How to get a written caption onto a photo mount

Edit My Images
No
I recently took some shots at an equestrian event. One of them - a picture of my friend's daughter on her horse - was pretty decent, and the pair won their event, so my friend has asked for a print of the picture to commemorate the occasion. She has asked me to put a written caption on the mount .... along the lines of "Somewhere Equestrian Centre - 8th October 2023" - or words to that effect. I have no idea how to do this - apart from hand writing it on myself, which isn't an option, given the appalling nature of my hand writing !!! Any ideas welcome. Thank you.

Depends on budget and whether you're mounting it yourself.

Cheapest is print the text on paper, cut it out and stick it on the mount.

Better is to cut an aperture below the print, print the text on heavy cardstock and treat it as "another photo" to be mounted. Either DIY, or take the text along with the photo to whoever is mounting/framing it for you.

What about putting it on the print and mounting around it or cutting a aperture in the mount to show the text.
In the past I had a couple of prints made with a wider border that included the description.

I mounted them myself using a custom made mount with a suitable sized aperture to accommodate the wider lower most border.
Depends on budget and whether you're mounting it yourself.

Cheapest is print the text on paper, cut it out and stick it on the mount.

Better is to cut an aperture below the print, print the text on heavy cardstock and treat it as "another photo" to be mounted. Either DIY, or take the text along with the photo to whoever is mounting/framing it for you.
In the past such mounts with a separate aperture to show the wording was used.

Yes, in the case of the OP the nicest way is to print it as I described above and get it framing shop mounted & framed as appropriate. NB to cut two apertures will add to the cost but no idea by how much.

The standard method used in equestrian photography is a basic text overlay layer in photoshop.

That's what all of the onsite photographers use.

Something I've seen done with framed [prints given as awards is to have a small brass plate engraved and stuck to the mount. A trophy shop will be able to knock one up.

The standard method used in equestrian photography is a basic text overlay layer in photoshop.

That's what all of the onsite photographers use.
I'm guessing that's to put text on the print though as opposed to the mount?

Many years ago I had a small hand fed printing press, that I used to print logos on my mounts and add captions.

It would seem to me the best option is to use a double mount with the top mount as a mask and to cut a smaller aperture in it for the caption, most framers have mount cutters that can do that very easily, and would happily do it for you. If you supply the print and a caption.

Back