How to get media pass/accreditations for motorsport meetings?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm not a pro, nor do I intend to be, but was wondering how easy/hard it is to get media accreditations for motorsport events as I'd love to be able to shoot from in front of the fence.

So questions are:

- can anyone apply for passes or do you have to prove/demonstrate that you tog for a living?
- if anyone can apply - what's the best way of doing this & how much time in advance do you need to apply before the event?
- are some events easier to get accreditation for than others, e.g. F1 GP vs BTCC vs low key event?
- are there any costs associated with applying?

thanks for your advice

Hi all

I'm not a pro, nor do I intend to be, but was wondering how easy/hard it is to get media accreditations for motorsport events as I'd love to be able to shoot from in front of the fence.

So questions are:

- can anyone apply for passes or do you have to prove/demonstrate that you tog for a living?
- if anyone can apply - what's the best way of doing this & how much time in advance do you need to apply before the event?
- are some events easier to get accreditation for than others, e.g. F1 GP vs BTCC vs low key event?

thanks for your advice

Think theres a big crackdown on people getting accreditation for no reason. Passes are for MEDIA and they are there for a reason? If you dont intent to use these images why should you gain access?

Hi all

So questions are:

thanks for your advice

If you're not a pro, or not shooting for a publication (ie. magazine, newspaper, agency) then you won't or shouldn't be getting accreditation.

When we're in front of the fence, we're working...it's not just so you can get better shots.

Sorry.

If you're not a pro, or not shooting for a publication (ie. magazine, newspaper, agency) then you won't or shouldn't be getting accreditation.

When we're in front of the fence, we're working...it's not just so you can get better shots.

Sorry.

Agree with this, sorry if it sounds harsh but every time someone gets in when they shouldn't it makes it harder for those that should be there to get in........its called MEDIA Accreditation for a reason :)

I'm not trying to rustle feathers here and appreciate that pro's have a job to do, I was just wondering if it was an option as it would make it easier to get good pics and whilst I wouldn't be selling my images (unless I thought they were good enough to), I would be using them, just for personal use though

I'm not trying to rustle feathers here and appreciate that pro's have a job to do, I was just wondering if it was an option as it would make it easier to get good pics and whilst I wouldn't be selling my images (unless I thought they were good enough to), I would be using them, just for personal use though

Basically no :) i can't see you getting "trackside" accreditation without being properly accredited media

:agree: I mean if you were aiming to build a portfolio for a career in the business.
Then thats probably the only other way I could think of...But even that is looked down on nowadays..But you have to start somewhere :puke:

i gave up on the motorsport industry years ago, for this very reason, too many togs accredited no reason. which leaves it very dificult !

getting a fairly clear picture here and respect the inputs provided - I guess I really wanted to know if it was a fairly easy process to get accreditation but one that people just weren't generally aware of it, therefore only pro's (or those in the know) being trackside or if it really was reserved for pro's full stop. Sounds like the latter.

Basically the race organisers don't need or want photographers trackside.
But they do need publicity, so the only reason they let photographers trackside is if they can prove they work for the media and can give them enough publicity to make it worth it.

Working for the local paper will get you accreditation for national race. But for f1 I think you can forget it unless you are working for a big agency.

I'm wondering if this is a wind up though as you don't seem to be taking much notice of what people are saying

I'm wondering if this is a wind up though as you don't seem to be taking much notice of what people are saying

Gary, how can you say I'm not taking much notice of what people are saying? I've said that I respect everything that's been said and that it's now clear that trackside is a 'pro only' zone

danski
are you referring to track side racing eg. circuits etc or any type of motorsport?

one way in is to get in touch with your local motorclub (www.msauk.org) to see if anyone locally get involved in motorsport....get involved marshalling or organising and start making contacts.

If you know someone locally ask a local newpaper if they would publish photo of successes this will get you published

you can then go down the hard route of then applying to the MSA Motorsport association to get media accreditation.. ( i think it is twelve separate instances of being publish before they will even look at the application.) and a letter for a editor..... ALTHOUGH THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE to get you on to trackside.

Do you have a local kart track? i do and I take photos for the op GP championship so that will get u close to action...some of the best racing i see.

if you go to any Rally or Rally cross or BCCC access is easier next to stages as they are usually on public land ie forestry commission land. and you dont get fences.. or stage funiture. there are plenty options that can get you close to the action.
last option is take a step ladder!!!..........:wave:

I would be using them, just for personal use though

Then no you wount be getting media and you shouldnt be getting it.

Getting trackside media is not easy to get into. You need to be getting your images published in papers etc or on websites that are doing full event reports, and even then you still may not get media.

Also you will need PLI.

Last edited:
If you are talking about racing circuits try Mallory Park. There are plenty of places to get where you can get clear view of the track, unhindered by fencing. And you are probably no more than 2ft from the pro's. I know I was earlier this year. Spent some time speaking to the track pro and took shots alongside him.

I was trackside at Moto X at the weekend. And in some cases I was closer to the action than I wanted to be. Some shots were taken at around 20mm and the filled the frame.

I managed to get taken up by a team to shoot for them and to help promote thier team. They were the current race leaders but I didn't get accreditation when I applied.

Trying to get it just for yourself would be impossible.

I managed to get taken up by a team to shoot for them and to help promote thier team. They were the current race leaders but I didn't get accreditation when I applied.

Trying to get it just for yourself would be impossible.

But that's not media. You just need the team to get you a pass and sign on for a tabard when you are there.

But that's not media. You just need the team to get you a pass and sign on for a tabard when you are there.

I have always wondered how this all works? So please excuse the questions if they sound a bit silly.

If you shoot for a paper/publicatiion and certain websites you can apply for a media pass with your PLI and a some sort of authencation from the paper?

If you shoot for a team they can apply for a pass for you? I take the result of this application would depend on the size/importance of the team to the series?

So what happens if you shoot for an agency? Does the agency apply on your behalf? or do you already have to have media accrediation to shoot for an agency?

I have always wondered how this all works? So please excuse the questions if they sound a bit silly.

If you shoot for a paper/publicatiion and certain websites you can apply for a media pass with your PLI and a some sort of authencation from the paper?

If you shoot for a team they can apply for a pass for you? I take the result of this application would depend on the size/importance of the team to the series?

So what happens if you shoot for an agency? Does the agency apply on your behalf? or do you already have to have media accrediation to shoot for an agency?

Some of it is more luck than judgement, and it helps if you're already known.

The team gets a certain amount of tickets so you just get them to give you one. Or even buy one :) then sign on at the circuit for a tabard to allow you on track. They may or may not let you do this so it's worth asking before making the trip.

If you are media then you apply for a media pass. 99.9% of the time you don't need pli or won't be asked for it. I have it so it covers my ass, but I've only been asked for it once at a test session.

If you are an agency then you apply as media and put your customers on the application form (assuming your customers are media)

Once you are established and have a season pass for a series or circuit then sometimes you just renew them each year.

Forgot to mention: media app forms require a covering letter from the editor

Also one thing that photographers behind the fence seem to have difficulty grasping: the series organisers don't care how good you are or how big your lens is, they only care about how much publicity you can give them. Always annoys me when I read threads where Joe public with a 600mm gets annoyed because they aren't allowed trackside and a reporter from the local paper with a canon ixus is. And that's the way it should be imho

The team gets a certain amount of tickets so you just get them to give you one. Or even buy one :) then sign on at the circuit for a tabard to allow you on track. They may or may not let you do this so it's worth asking before making the trip.

If you are media then you apply for a media pass. 99.9% of the time you don't need pli or won't be asked for it. I have it so it covers my ass, but I've only been asked for it once at a test session.

If you are an agency then you apply as media and put your customers on the application form (assuming your customers are media)

Once you are established and have a season pass for a series or circuit then sometimes you just renew them each year.

Thanks Gary(y)

Thats a good post Gary, for somone like me who is trying to get media for circuit racing

Gary, getting into an event using a ticket and then trying to sign on as media is not a correct method afaik. I know of people that have used this method, but its not correct and is more to do with the inefficiency of some circuits sign on.

WTCC, DTM, BTCC and BSB have a list of expected photographers, as well as all Thruxton events. If your not on the list of holding the correct pass then you cannot sign on.

I cant recall being checked off a list at F3/GT so perhaps its because they rely on the host circuit to deal with sign on and if you look the part or are a familiar face they will sign you on.

To the OP, getting a media pass isn't that difficult if you need one. If your interested in getting into media photography then request an application from the event/circuit media officer and look at the requrements. Even if you meet these requirements you may not be accepted. Certainly BSB has started getting very tight on media.

Gary, getting into an event using a ticket and then trying to sign on as media is not a correct method afaik. I know of people that have used this method, but its not correct and is more to do with the inefficiency of some circuits sign on.

I did say to let the circuit know first that you require a tabard.

Normally when signing on, you are asked to show your ticket and those for media purposes gets a ticket marked media. I've been asked to show my PLI when applying for Thruxton, Rockingham, Mallory Park and Croft, and also when applying for my MSV season pass. I've had to show it when signing on for testing as well.

My motorsport news site has successfully obtained accreditation for several people, including a season Time Attack pass and various other events. I'm looking for contributors as well for different club events, so maybe there is the opportunity for a few of you to work for me.

However, I'd want a bit of a story as well as pictures, and I'd want an 'exclusive' on the story and pictures before they appeared elsewhere (ie here or on your own website). The story and pictures would need to be provided with a couple of days otherwise its classed as old news.

An example of how to do it can be given by Alex Ings, who before this season hadn't worked trackside. Ignore the first couple of posts (the most recent) as he was unable to attend and the text was provided by the Britcar publicity officer and Gary provided some pics, but the older posts - eg Britcar 24 and earlier are his own work, photos and text.

http://www.racingexposure.com/blog/author/ingsy/

Last edited:

Ah, I didn't realise that so filled out the accreditation form and got a covering letter from the team. I assumed that was the ONLY way.

I had several e-mails between me and MSV and they never mentioned that.

Thanks for the heads up (y)

Normally when signing on, you are asked to show your ticket and those for media purposes gets a ticket marked media. I've been asked to show my PLI when applying for Thruxton, Rockingham, Mallory Park and Croft, and also when applying for my MSV season pass. I've had to show it when signing on for testing as well.

My motorsport news site has successfully obtained accreditation for several people, including a season Time Attack pass and various other events. I'm looking for contributors as well for different club events, so maybe there is the opportunity for a few of you to work for me.

However, I'd want a bit of a story as well as pictures, and I'd want an 'exclusive' on the story and pictures before they appeared elsewhere (ie here or on your own website). The story and pictures would need to be provided with a couple of days otherwise its classed as old news.

An example of how to do it can be given by Alex Ings, who before this season hadn't worked trackside. Ignore the first couple of posts (the most recent) as he was unable to attend and the text was provided by the Britcar publicity officer and Gary provided some pics, but the older posts - eg Britcar 24 and earlier are his own work, photos and text.

http://www.racingexposure.com/blog/author/ingsy/

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in that.

I'm actually at Mallory Park tomorrow for a Drift practice day with a friend (never been there before so hoping to get some good shots.

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in that.

I'm actually at Mallory Park tomorrow for a Drift practice day with a friend (never been there before so hoping to get some good shots.

Mallory Park is one circuit where the difference between media and non-media is about 4 feet. The central spine of the circuit is the only place where spectators can't get good shots from.

Go to the event in the frame of mind of writing a story and see how you like it. Getting the photos is the easy bit, writing the story as well is harder.

Mallory Park is one circuit where the difference between media and non-media is about 4 feet. The central spine of the circuit is the only place where spectators can't get good shots from.

Go to the event in the frame of mind of writing a story and see how you like it. Getting the photos is the easy bit, writing the story as well is harder.

I accept the challenge :).

Like I say, I'll be going with a mate who's drifting so as long as his car doesn't break then I'll be free to shoot all day (with the exception of going out for some laps :)).

I'll start a new thread anyway rather than clogging this one up.

tbh its all a black art.. it gets easier once your known to the organisers

The downside I have is where I'm still at uni. I suddenly get loads of uni work to do so then have to put the camera away and leave it.

Final year now so when that's finished the camera will be coming out alot more and I'll push to get my work published as I think I'm getting upto that standard now.

Alternatively to all of the above, be a member of the club hiring the circuit from the owners on a particular day and if you are a regular worker for said club (e.g. a licenced clerk of the course - 2011 renewal form is sitting on my desk at the moment) then you will know the person clerking on the day, the secretary of the meeting and most of the marshalls so you will be able to sign on as media and gain trackside access without any problems at all ;).

Had a bit of a nightmare today at Mallory lol. Spent the morning out with my mate in his car then after lunch I went out with the camera.

I could only shoot from the infield at end of the Stebbe Straight, Outside of Padock Entrance & Devils Elbow. Very few drivers were drifting around Gerad's Bend so I didn't shoot there.

To end it all my mate carried on drifting then blew 3rd gear so we decided it best to pack up and head home incase we didn't make it back. Will upload the pictures later tonight.

As others have said, the organisers want publicity - they don't want your photos, they want to see you getting stuff in print in relevant paper or electronic publications.

Starting the relationship can be tricky and it definitely needs editorial backing, but once started you need to make sure they see the output of your work. Once they are confident you do deliver then it smoothes out somewhat, although you can't slack off because you still need to keep the publications coming or they will bin you.

Likely as not, once binned you'll never get back too...

As with all aspects of commercial photography, the relationships and connections are far more important and time consuming than the photography itself.

Its not what you know, its who you know.

Back