How to get rid of shadow caused by flash

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Photo of my daughter in her new dress.

3398407046_50d4c12ec3.jpg

Nasty shadow caused by on-board flash (I can't get my head round how to get my old Cullman + slave unit to provide fill in with this A300 - a job for later perhaps).

I used the GIMP and tried dodging (or is it burning?) to brighten up the dark edge on her right hand side. It had no effect.

Can anyone help me out here please?

Thanks

First off, it is the dodge tool (think that things go black when burnt so that's the burn tool) When using the dodge tool do you have highlights, midtones or shadows selected?

Edit:

TBH I agree with Yvonne, it's not too bad. Also, it depends on how much detail there is in the shadows to pull back. IT's worth a play with, but it's a nice shot anyway

Edit2:

Yes there's not much detail there to bring out... you might want to try cloning instead. Here's a very quick and dirty edit on the low res image posted.

3398407046_50d4c12ec3edit.jpg

Blimey, that's good. Thanks.

I was using dodge on midtone setting - the result is not great.

I take the point re the shadow not being too bad - I just wanted to get is as good as possible. Given my cloning skills are rudimentary at best it may well have to stay as it is.

Thanks for the help both of you.

Blimey, that's good. Thanks.

I was using dodge on midtone setting - the result is not great.

I take the point re the shadow not being too bad - I just wanted to get is as good as possible. Given my cloning skills are rudimentary at best it may well have to stay as it is.

Thanks for the help both of you.

PM sent

And here's one V8Burble did earlier!

He very generously improved the original high res version.

And here it is, duly acknowledged and with many thanks.

3399306710_42f8d9a666.jpg

A larger version on Flickr shows it even better.

TBH I dont think the shadow looks so harsh and horrific, the darkish trees their dappled texture reduces its impact quite significantly anyway.

I agree, to be honest i can't even see the shadow, the only thing i think that spoils the photo is you've cut her feet off, other than that it looks fine :)

Back