How to get this Background in PP?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been looking at some images from a guy on Instagram and would like to replicate the backgrounds, not exactly just similar.
Couple of cut outs from Instagram (don't want to treed on any toes with copyright for a full image)
Any ideas on how to do it?
Thanks, Russ.
BG How.JPGBG How.JPG_2.JPG

Is this just out of focus areas?

With longer lenses and wider apertures little is in the depth and if the background is further away it can be rendered as just colour of various shades.

Is that what you're looking at?

An example of mine with grass and a brick wall behind.

P1020885-C.jpg

Last edited:
Subject distance being as close to subject as possible and having the background as far away as possible is key. A fast lens (f2.8 or 4) and using a fast aperture. Also picking a plan background helps. But subject distance is key.

Hi, thanks for reply.
Not 100% sure to be honest.
Have sent you a link for Instagram via PM if you wouldn't mind having a look and see what you think because he even has it in video form.
Russ

Couple of cut outs from Instagram (don't want to treed on any toes with copyright for a full image)

View attachment 378362View attachment 378363

Next time post a link. Any part of a photograph infringes copyright as legally a crop is considered to be the entire image.

As for question, it's generally considered a bit dodgy to replace the background of a nature shot in post.
So the aim would be to capture as is with subject/background separation as mentioned above.

Thankyou for the replies, I had a feeling it was subject/distance.
One of mine Bluetit.jpg

Just depends on what is in the background, how far it is from the subject, focal length and the aperture used.
1DA6E71E-1C08-434A-8BEF-81F8E2A13FE1.jpeg

I believe cloning in Photoshop or similar software is fairly common for these sort of photos, no amount of shallow DoF is going to get a monotone background unless you managed to get the subject against a featureless background in the first place.

As others have said, a long lens, wide aperture, close focus distance to the subject and preferably a fairly featureless background a good way behind the subject all help.

You could isolate the background using the new masking tools and drop the Texture, Clarity and Sharpening in Lightroom to achieve this effect. But as always, PP can only enhance what's already there.

Back