How to get your photos recognised

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Obviously being a novice, all I do is store photo upon photo, probably look at it a couple of times and never look at them again. But my intentions are to at least get a few photos recognised, but where do I start, a friend of mine is into steam railways which he emails a steam magazine pictures all the time, some get in some don't. I'm not into trains unless diesels were to come back, but obviously I know it depends what photos I take, but where do I start as it would be nice to have a few photos recognised and published.

I'm not totally clear what you mean by recognised...I'm guessing that you mean published if so you can email them to magazines you'd like to be in post them on there Facebook pages etc if they like them or think that they could use them I'm sure they would be in touch...willing to bet however that a lot will be trying to get free images...

You've said what you don't shoot but what do you shoot?

Well the main shots I'll be taking is Macro, landscape and nature as being out in the wilds.

It's not really as I put with regards recognition, more to the point that it would be an achievement to have a photo put in a magazine or something along those lines.

It's not really as I put with regards recognition, more to the point that it would be an achievement to have a photo put in a magazine or something along those lines.

Then pick some magazines and send them in, if you don't want money getting them in should be reasonably easy if you want money expect it to be much harder.

Buy the freelancers guide (available from Amazing etc., published annually) and check the submission guidelines for magazines you're interested in.

If you're not proactive the best recognition you can hope for is, "Eh up, you're right. That is a photograph."

Oh, and one quick question, "How many of your photographs have you had printed out?"

Because, if you don't think they're worth printing, why should anyone else? - that's not meant to be mean. But from what you've said, even you don't find them worth much more than a second glance. Photo appreciation is one of the steps towards getting better.

Oh, and one quick question, "How many of your photographs have you had printed out?"

Because, if you don't think they're worth printing, why should anyone else? - that's not meant to be mean. But from what you've said, even you don't find them worth much more than a second glance. Photo appreciation is one of the steps towards getting better.

I know what you mean, but my photos up to now have only been snap shots and there's not been any great effort put into them, and I'm now thinking of stepping up a notch and putting an effort into photos that I think mean something or that people would like to see. I'm far from an expert but i've got the drive and ambition, and when I put my mind to it, then I like to succeed.

I know what you mean, but my photos up to now have only been snap shots and there's not been any great effort put into them, and I'm now thinking of stepping up a notch and putting an effort into photos that I think mean something or that people would like to see. I'm far from an expert but i've got the drive and ambition, and when I put my mind to it, then I like to succeed.

In that case then David I would suggest you start taking some shots and putting them up on TP for C&C. It`s what the good people on here are good at (y) it should help you get to your destination much quicker ;)

Why not contact Gettys Images I have several images on there they have taken via my Flickr account.

Why not contact Gettys Images I have several images on there they have taken via my Flickr account.

You sign up to getty via Flickr but you don't contact them they contact you ;)

You sign up to getty via Flickr but you don't contact them they contact you ;)

Is that part of the Flickr service then Matt or do you have to do something with your account to get the Getty connection. I'm not expecting anything but hey, I can dream :LOL:

Just checking profile and I've already got that box 'ticked'. Off to dream now :whistle:

Di

Last edited:
Well the main shots I'll be taking is Macro, landscape and nature as being out in the wilds.

The photo mags are stuffed full of these every issue. You either need to do something radically different or of exceptional quality in those genres to get published.

It took me several years to get a few pages in Amateur Photographer, and I've being submitting to the railway mags for years with no success, even though the stuff I send is at least as good or better than what's printed IMO.

Is your work at least as good or better than what you see in the magazines? If so, you possibly stand a chance of getting published on merit. Alternatively, get something topical or newsworthy for submission.

I've been in n-photo a few times.. I was contacted via twitter initially for an image I'd added to their Flickr group and again via their Facebook page. Had a request recently from their US version to use one of the photos too which was a nice surprise :)

I know what you mean, but my photos up to now have only been snap shots and there's not been any great effort put into them, and I'm now thinking of stepping up a notch and putting an effort into photos

Walk --> Run

I'd suggest starting to make the effort first, and then looking to pimp them out for recognition. Once you get your own style you'll know who might be interested in it.

You can get plenty of early recognition by just using Flickr intelligently.

Bernie - Just found This (- How to be a Getty contributor) if you or anyone else is interested.

Also THIS on Flickr.

Last edited:
Bernie - Just found This (- How to be a Getty contributor) if you or anyone else is interested.

Also THIS on Flickr.

the call for artists group has been closed for ages, doubt it will reopen.. that's how I became a contributor..

for the flickr collection the best advice I can give is tag your images well, add location, country, concepts etc
geotag (some curators have specific locations they look for images from)
technical quality, don't over process - they prefer colour versions usually
no logos, brands
cute kids (model released) authentic real people and real life scenarios
cats! ;)

Back