How to identify birds?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I have just started to take an interest in those feathered things in the sky. And as such I am finding my self not having a clue what they are, often even not down to if it's a type of finch or sparrow or whatever etc.

So far I have gotten lucky a few times but there must be a better way that 5-6 refined google images searches.

Is there a web site I can go one which gives a sort of break down? or am I best buying a "birds of Britain" sort of book and flicking through to find what I want?

Example:
Shot from 2 days ago (sorry for quality it's a cheap lens wide open with an epic crop):

Sparrow in the hedge by themaninthesuitcase, on Flickr

First I thought it might be a finch because of the beak shape, but was too big, so guessed a sparrow. Now a the wiki entry for sparrow lists about 40 types....so I start clicking down till I see one that looks about right, the spanish sparrow. And now I google image search that to confirm. This finds me about 50/50 images that are close/images that make me think I have the wrong one....

Any pointers here will be really appreciated.

Collins Bird Guide LINK is the birders reference.

For something pocket size (shirt pocket) I would recommend this Collins Gem LINK not so much detail, but a handy guide that is a nice size to carry round (they also do one on butterflies, which is just as useful).

Finally the RSPB do an ID thing on their site, which you choose various parameters and it offers suggestions, you can also listen to the birds songs on there, which is a good way to ID them

Finally the RSPB do an ID thing on their site, which you choose various parameters and it offers suggestions, you can also listen to the birds songs on there, which is a good way to ID them
I found the bird identifier on RSPB after posting this it's a red kite apparently....

Will have a look at those links now.

The bird looks like a house sparrow, we tend to only get House and Tree Sparrows in the UK

It's down to practice and familiarity really. Note the colours and features and use a good field guide to identify the species. It often comes down to small details.

A good starting point is the RSPB site - it has a bird identifier on it.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

Your sparrow has no cheek spot and what looks like a grey cap - that identifies it as a house sparrow.

IMO the old way is still the best way - get a good field guide (to British birds only if possible so you're not distracted by loads of 'impossible possibles'), watch birds as often as you can (that is, all the time ;)) and take copious notes to write up and use for ID in your field guide. There really isn't a shortcut I'm afraid. The internet is useful to confirm an ID (or not) but is too unwieldy to use in the first instance. Or so I think, but I've been wrong before. :)

It's down to practice and familiarity really. Note the colours and features and use a good field guide to identify the species. It often comes down to small details.

A good starting point is the RSPB site - it has a bird identifier on it.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

Your sparrow has no cheek spot and what looks like a grey cap - that identifies it as a house sparrow.

Having looked at the image again I am sure you're right in that there's a gray cap, so looks like a house sparrow then. It really is in the small details.

I will look into getting a book as they don't seem expensive.

I don't usually shoot birds but I would think if you just post the picture on a any birding forum it will be identified very quickly.

The Hedge Sparrow or Dunnock is more "Robin" shaped

Dunnock6.JPG
[/IMG]

Buy a good fieldguide. Make sure its one with illustrations, not photographs. They may look good, but bird plumage varies an awful lot over the course of the year. A well illustrated guide will show the key points of identification. When you come up with a possible ID check to see where it is found. For example, the sparrow you refer to as Spanish above, is very rarely found in the UK. It COULD be, but very unlikely. Further investigation would come up with House Sparrow, which is far more likely. Always check for a common species first and if that is ruled out, then check for rarities.

Neither do I but I do like to take photos of them :D

Yep Chris you seem to have passed my answer that its a male HS

Sorry but at one point I got about 5 emails in 2-3 mins saying there'd been posts :eek:

Got a propper feeder today so hopefully I will see a few more visitors soon (y)

Identification is down to putting all the information you have together.

Size. This is sometimes/often difficult to judge when the bird is by itself or in poor light but even if you can say it is a bit bigger than ....., then it is a start.

Shape. There is a great variety - a starling is a different shape to a blackbird. Some are more obvious - eg long legs, pointed wings, long neck, forked tail.

Flight. Sometimes this is very characteristic. Eg a starling's flight is very direct, a green woodpecker has an undulating flight.

Plumage. Sometimes the patterning is very clear and noticeable, eg the white rump of the wheatear, the striking pattern of the magpie. Though there are many, especially the warblers, where the plumage is very similar.

Song. Sometimes quite a difficult one as I think, for many birds, it is almost impossible to translate a bird song into words, which all bird books attempt to do. Though some are very obvious. Many times I have known there was a cuckoo in the area, but I have only seen two.

Habitat. Some birds are found mainly by the sea, others in grassland, woodland, lakes, mountains. Now and again ones turn up in unusual places, like the recent white tailed eagle in Hampshire, but where you see a bird is usually a good guide.

As already noted the Collins guide is particularly good.

Dave

I'd 3rd or 4th a field guide, go for a british only guide as said previously you won't need to go through all the european only birds until you are more familiar with british birds. Also there is a cracking dvd of british birds with call identification and the differing plumage of species that I find good watching.

Back