How to improve Capture one preview times

Name
Darrin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Just wondering what would improve preview generation times in Capture One, CPU, GPU or ram or all of the above??

Thanks in advance

Hi all

Just wondering what would improve preview generation times in Capture One, CPU, GPU or ram or all of the above??

Thanks in advance
I don't actually know the answer, but do you mean the time that C1 takes to build the previews when you first import files, or after the previews have been built and you are scrolling through them when editing/culling.

This is a bit out of date, but might still be relevant

I don't actually know the answer, but do you mean the time that C1 takes to build the previews when you first import files, or after the previews have been built and you are scrolling through them when editing/culling.

This is a bit out of date, but might still be relevant

Thinking of the time to generate previews upon import yes

Thinking of the time to generate previews upon import yes
As regards hardware, I can't help beyond the link. Although I have a new Mac as of this year, I didn't find it that slow with my previous 2011 Mac Mini.

Are you aware that you don't need to wait for previews to be generated before starting to work on the photographs. C1 will shift it's efforts to generate a preview of the selected image, you still need to wait until its generated of course, but at least you are being productive. After an initial look, I would then leave C1 running while doing something else, to allow it to finish building the previews. If I didn't do this it would just start building previews again as soon as I relaunched it.

It may also be worth checking the size of previews you are building, they are meant to be the same, or one size up, from the resolution of your monitor.

The new import tools (v23) might also help, as it uses the embedded Jpegs to allow you to cull files you don't want to import, and then only build previews of the images you want to keep.

Apologies, if you already know all this.

Back