How to improve quality of a low res jpg please

from my experience it works well , i did a photo of a baby at 36mp and reduced locket size, without very much loss of quality, the photoshop reduduction really loss quality for the same reduction

I've come to this interesting discussion late, but one solution might be getting a quality machine print made (7x5 or thereabouts -- should be reasonable at around 200ppi) then flat scan the print for a much bigger MP image. Just a thought...

I've come to this interesting discussion late, but one solution might be getting a quality machine print made (7x5 or thereabouts -- should be reasonable at around 200ppi) then flat scan the print for a much bigger MP image. Just a thought...
That is still not going to add detail that is not there. In addition, you will get a certain amount of scanning distortion and artifacts.

Hmm, I'm not so sure, John.

A high quality flat scan will do a reasonable job of holding detail that already exists in the machine print. Also, saving out to TIFF would allow further editing which may be helpful too for viewing at typical distances -- colour enhancement, tonal separation and selectively creating the illusion of sharpness, for example.

I'm not entirely sure what visually obvious distortions and artefacts a good flat scan would add. Might be worth a try anyway as an alternative to upscaling.

I did not say "visually obvious" anywhere in my post. Any process will degrade the image even if that degradation is not " visually obvious". The very best you could hope for is an image file identical to the image file used to print the scanned picture but in practice the new image file will be at least slightly inferior to the original image file.

Back