How to make your own kit bag - does anyone care?!

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I was just wondering, I've become increasingly annoyed with not being able to find a kit bag that suits my needs properly, and I think they're pretty over-priced anyway (I know that gear is expensive, but come on). Because I don't have a lot of kit, and I'm not going to take it skydiving, base-jumping, or into a warzone, I just needed a bag that would hold my camera, accessories, and a lens or two, and that doesn't look like a camera bag (I don't like the way a lot of them look, and scream 'look at me, I have expensive camera-related goodness inside")

So I've decided to have a go myself, I've got a shoulder bag which I'm going to convert and see how my effort compares. If anyone has been thinking about doing this, or wants to know how it turns out, I'll take photos of how I'm doing it and write up a walkthrough-type thing. If not, I won't!

Chris

Yes. (y) Please. LOL

Sounds good! I'm always interested in D.I.Y photography stuff.....you could become the strobist of the camera bag world :LOL:

I'm looking at creating my own bag, for similar reasons to you, price, look and the fact the material is always like cardboard, good for protection but useless for useability. The main reason is noone seems to sell proper bags for walking too. I'm thinking of making some kind of removeable foam insert that fits into my bag. It'll be interesting to see how yours turns out. :)

Interesting, and interested. (y) I have a canvas satchel (man bag) from BHS that I bought to use as a "urban disguise" bag, and was thinking of making a foam insert so I'm definitely will try to follow this thread.

I do have a WWII Gas Mask Bag but that only really holds a couple of lenses and won't hide the body unless I remove the lens (not always ideal)

I have a plain grey canvas handbag/shoulder bag that I often use instead of a camera bag, if I'm only using just the one the camera with a single lens and want to be low key. It opens with a single central zip, so very useful for quick access. It also has an outside pocket for my bits and pieces.

I made a U shaped liner for it, from layers of bubble wrap sewn into a bit of corduroy fabric that I had left over from making a Christmas tree skirt. This helps to protect the contents from being bumped and banged by others and also helps if I forget what's in it and put it down none too gently!

I thought about buying a cheap, bigger handbag just for this purpose, but giving more flexibility to carry extra gear, but decided to keep things minimal for now. However, if I spot something cheap in the sales, I still might try it.

You can get "man bags" that would do the job too.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue! Basically what it's going to be is a box (with the top end open, obviously) made of that foam board stuff that fits inside a shoulder/messenger bag.

To be honest, if I did a lot of walking I'd probably buy a rucksack, there's more opportunity for it to be dropped, hit, have some rabid animal chase you etc. Also to distribute the weight evenly over your back. This is just going to be for strolling around town etc to be honest! But hopefully it'll inspire others who will be able to do a better job than I! Cheers for the support guys, construction is underway......

Chris

Camera gear has got far too pandered too of late. I used to know a snapper that just put all his kit in a shoulder bag and off he went. You could hear him coming from a mile off, clanking and clinging.

True all his kit looked like an early landrover but it did all work....... mostly.

toatally agree been looking for a bag at the moment but tbh some are way over priced and padding cant cost that much can it ?

How about a a bit of foam camping matress sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. Cheap ones are normaly 6-8mm thick.

Lidl have a yoga mat on special at the moment. 4mm thick for £4.88

Camera gear has got far too pandered too of late. I used to know a snapper that just put all his kit in a shoulder bag and off he went. You could here him coming from a mile off, clanking and clinging.

True all his kit looked like an early landrover but it did all work....... mostly.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Too true, most electronic stuff these days is only built to last the manufactures 1 year guarantee.

Camera gear has got far too pandered too of late. I used to know a snapper that just put all his kit in a shoulder bag and off he went. You could here him coming from a mile off, clanking and clinging.

That's pretty much what I do now...:nuts:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue! Basically what it's going to be is a box (with the top end open, obviously) made of that foam board stuff that fits inside a shoulder/messenger bag.

To be honest, if I did a lot of walking I'd probably buy a rucksack, there's more opportunity for it to be dropped, hit, have some rabid animal chase you etc. Also to distribute the weight evenly over your back. This is just going to be for strolling around town etc to be honest! But hopefully it'll inspire others who will be able to do a better job than I! Cheers for the support guys, construction is underway......

Chris

I want to make something that fits in this, it's really good for walking and big enough for camera kit, it's got an aluminium frame that 'm thinking of using as a kind of slide for the padding. I also want to get something to fit in a normal 20L bag, should be interesting.

Not looking to make my own bag but your efforts would certainly interest me.

If it goes horribly wrong then I'd definitely like to see photos. If it comes out looking good then I'm not really that interested to be honest ;-)

Good luck mate

I'd be interested in this, I've got a Crumpler Pretty Boy XXXL (or is it XXL, i can't remember) for my current gear but something i could literally stick just the camera and attached lens in would be cool, especially if it doesn't look like a camera bag.

O.K, well I'll post my results however they turn out! I'm just waiting for the glue to dry, I'm tired and my hands reek of copydex, but it's going well! Cheers for the support (y)

Chris

I use one of these Nike ones, there is some padding in the back of it as there is a compartment for a laptop, but apart from that i put a bit of bubble wrap in the base and does me fine for urban travel.

It is just wide enough for my D200 to go in sideways, so about 120-150mm deep.

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/habita/h02393.html#

Looking forward to your design.

One thing i have found, is make sure you don't use the bag for anything else as i found some crumbs in the bottom of my bag after i used it for a weekend away once, i didn't even put any food in there, but they managed to find their way in there, so now i don't use it for anything else.

Jonathan

LOL !!! I was thinking the same thing. And for the same reasons ! Along the idea of a rucksack/backpack with pockets n stuff. Then foam/jiffybags/bubble wrap etc then a simple liner. with a couple of jiffy bags to suit the lenses.

I was shocked when my camera arrived by courier, just before Christmas ! it was a plastic bag (self sticky type) inside, the camera box had a single layer of bubble wrap. in the box - no preformed polystyrene or anything. the camera and lenses were separately wrapped in not alot of bubble wrap. :eek:

I use a green "Sport Fish" angler's shoulder bag, bought for a fiver from a stall in a cattle market. It's made from Cordura-like fabric. The base and back are stiffened with Correx corrugated plastic, bent into an L shape. The base of the bag is padded somewhat with a towel, which I also use for mopping my face and cleaning my specs.

For larger amounts of gear I use a wheeled grip (£25 from a market) with a plastic lidded bin (£4) inside. The base of the bag is stiffened with Correx.

For walking with a similar amount of kit plus lightstands etc I'll be getting an angler's trolley.

Nope, not finished yet, I'd forgotten how anal I can be with these things!

This is what it's looking like at the moment, shown with my Canon 70-300 IS for reference:

sofaroc0.jpg

I had to leave it last night to dry, and ive been doing job applications all morning, so this afternoon I'm hoping to finish it.... Still a fair way to go though!

Chris

hope you lens isnt stuck to it :D so thats the insert for your bag, with the front missing to show it yeh will it have separate compartments ? to reduce movement

hope you lens isnt stuck to it :D so thats the insert for your bag,

Nope, definitely not stuck! It did take me a while to get the copydex out of my clothes, carpet, hair, nails et yesterday though!

Yep, that's the insert for the bag, I'm working on the dividers now, then when that's all done I'll put the final side on. Fingers crossed eh........

Chris

One of my bags is a Redsnapper shoulder bag. The whole of the inside can be removed as one (padding, dviders etc) and then could be put in any bag you like.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out too. I was toying with the idea of using a normal "record" bag and then making a way of individually packing the body and lenses. I may still do it depending how your idea pans out :)

Nope, not finished yet, I'd forgotten how anal I can be with these things!

This is what it's looking like at the moment, shown with my Canon 70-300 IS for reference:

*snip*

I had to leave it last night to dry, and ive been doing job applications all morning, so this afternoon I'm hoping to finish it.... Still a fair way to go though!

Chris

That's interesting, different to what I was expecting, my idea was to carve the holes for the equipment out of a single piece of foam, thus making it stronger maybe.:)

That's interesting, different to what I was expecting, my idea was to carve the holes for the equipment out of a single piece of foam, thus making it stronger maybe.:)

Ah right, no sadly that's a bit out of my ability range! And as it's going to fit inside a shoulder/man-bag type thing, everything has to drop i, which would be a bit of a pain to do with one large block of foam. I don't know where you'd even source a block of foam to start with to be honest! I'm going more for the DIY approach, making it with things you can find around the home!

Chris

Interesting idea, good to see how it pans out! I have a "proper" camera bag, but for rallies, hillwalking and the likes, I just throw the body/lenses in their soft cases (love that Sigma EX range!!) and sling 'em in my rucksack....

Ah right, no sadly that's a bit out of my ability range! And as it's going to fit inside a shoulder/man-bag type thing, everything has to drop i, which would be a bit of a pain to do with one large block of foam. I don't know where you'd even source a block of foam to start with to be honest! I'm going more for the DIY approach, making it with things you can find around the home!

Chris

The websites from your other thread seem to suggest you can get big blocks? Then I was thinking of just using a knife to cut the shapes out the side, I think i'll aim for side entry rather than top entry (the zip on my big bag means pretty much the entire front comes undone.) I may even try and make some kind of waterproof cover and zip at the front.:LOL: (not that it will work...:bonk:)

The websites from your other thread seem to suggest you can get big blocks? Then I was thinking of just using a knife to cut the shapes out the side, I think i'll aim for side entry rather than top entry (the zip on my big bag means pretty much the entire front comes undone.) I may even try and make some kind of waterproof cover and zip at the front.:LOL: (not that it will work...:bonk:)

Other thread? Which other thread is that?

One thing I would say, cutting big blocks of expanded foam is much harder than it looks! It squashes in when you try and cut it, try cutting a complex shape into a sponge and you'll see what I mean! You can get foam that's sort of perforated, and that would be much easier for what you're planning, my old camera is in a case, and it was full of the stuff. You just rip out the bits you don't want, and make nice shapes!

Chris

Oops sorry, for some reason I thought you started this thread.

Yeah I was thinking that, I'll try using some hot metal to cut it but it'll be difficult, hence the smilies lol.

really interested in the outcome of this, I've three or four bags lying about and not one of them is perfect :(

Oops sorry, for some reason I thought you started this thread.

Yeah I was thinking that, I'll try using some hot metal to cut it but it'll be difficult, hence the smilies lol.

Ah right, nope, a different Chris by the looks of it!

really interested in the outcome of this, I've three or four bags lying about and not one of them is perfect :(

Bad news I'm afraid, it hasn't gone well! Basically it's turned out to be a lot harder than I first thought, which is a shame because I really spent quite a while on it. Technically, it's do-able, in fact it's really not hard to do at all.

BUT, to do it WELL is really, really hard! I don't have the materials, or the skills to do a really first rate job. It just isn't sturdy enough, not by a long way! Sorry to anyone hoping I'd come out of this with a foolproof, iron clad way of making a perfect bag, it's just out of my reach! I might have a play and a tinker with it a bit more, but I think I'll have to leave it to someone much wiser to pull it off properly!

Chris

I once modified an old ammunition box to use as a heavy-duty and waterproof camera box/bag for when I went on a canoeing expeditions. Still have it around somewhere. Heavy but good protection - and cheap!

Need to figure out how to modify my current backpack though - might take a similar approach to you...

if you used foam instead of polystyrene and stitched fabric round it would make it easier, to add rigidity try some hardboard in between the fabric and foam.

Back