How to migrate iTunes library for iPhone and iPod from one Windows computer to a Mac?

Name
Wail
Edit My Images
No
My daughter use to have her two iPod and iPhone syncd with her Toshiba computer and now needs to have them syncd with her MacBook.

So, how can we move her iTunes library (songs, ringtones, movies, etc.) from her Toshiba to her MacBook.

Also, how can she sync her two devices with the MacBook without loosing the data in them?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Wail,

You usually PM me :)

Just try this.... fire up iTunes on the new machine then close it. Locate the iTunes directory on the new machine and on the old machine then copy the directory from the old machine OVER the contents of the new machine.

This works on a Mac to Mac.....

:)

Thank you so much, and yes I did PM you .. but I was in the middle of this post and other PM to you when you seem to have found this :p

Thank you for the feedback .. but the old machine isn't a Mac. The old machine, running her iTunes is on her Toshiba laptop .. and she wants to move everything to her MacBook.

Also, when we connected her iPhone to her MacBook we were prompted to sync the two which would have resulted in her losing the data from her iPhone .. how can we overcome this?

Again, thank you .. as usual, you're the one to call in these cases (y)

I have some software that will pull the music FROM the iPhone onto her computer so you could then sync and not lose anything but you can tick the "Manually manage music and videos" option.

If you want the software let me know, I will send it to you tomorrow. It is freeware. I am up and 6 in the morning so off to sleep in a few minutes.

When I moved PC to Mac I just copied my iTunes folder across then imported everything into iTunes on my Mac.

I'm pretty sure that the iPod will have to be formatted, not sure about the iPhone, but won't all the music on them be in iTunes anyway?

Ca you not just backup to DVD then restore from dvd on the new machine. thats how i did min from my xp laptop to my new vista laptop.

Ca you not just backup to DVD then restore from dvd on the new machine. thats how i did min from my xp laptop to my new vista laptop.

I *think* that's the only way to do it and keep all of the play counts, ratings etc...
If you copy the iTunes Library XML config file over, along with the files, you'll have to manually update the path to each of the files in the library.

The DVD approach is also a convenient excuse to take a good, permenant, backup of your library as well.

Thanks for all the tips (y)

I will look into the freeware software to move the stuff; failing that I will have to sort a DVD back-up of her iTunes library as suggested.

Have you got a link to that getting music off iPods software?

One of my friends HD has died (without a backup) so she wants to get as much of her music back as possible from her iPod.

Its SENUTI but it is only free for 30 days, I got that wrong :(

Back