How to mount photos for new kitchen

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just putting the finishing touches to a new kitchen in an extension, and want to finish it off properly with some photos (mainly landscapes) from our travels. What I'm torn over is how to mount them...wanted to ask the collective expertise on here for advice.

Two photos below of the space they'll be going on - high-up below the raised ceiling, so they'll be out of touching range but hopefully big enough (probably >60x40cm, 3 in a row on one side, TBC on the other) to still have an impact. Area under the flat part of the ceiling is c.2.7m x 1m. The first image gets direct sunlight (from diagonal-right) in the morning - there's a pair of velux skylights out of sight to the right of the image, so the light possibly gets as high as that part of the wall early on, but it's certainly a bright area. Second image shows the side which will be always in the shade, but we've LED spots we can redirect if we want to highlight a photo...to be honest my main headache is deciding between properly lighting the print and getting glare off a (punchier, more saturated) glossy print or acrylic mount.

What would you recommend (and warn me away from) between:-
- Acrylic
- Aluminium (either bonded paper or onto primed metal)
- Brushed aluminium (direct print)
- Canvas
- Framed (fine-art?) paper

...and as a PS, which suppliers would you recommend? Have used DSCL for small prints and Whitewall for wall art, and been happy with both, but wondering who else is worth looking at?

Thanks,
Martin

(I'll share some thumbs in a second post of some of our shortlist, in case that helps)

Last edited:
I have a couple of direct aluminium prints (dibond IIRC, from SAAL) and really like the crispness and 3D quality like nothing else, but they're difficult to mount. Canvas is also a nice medium, and can give prints a painterly look - I have canvas prints in my office and the kitchen.

I have a number of B&W prints on canvas, a couple of colour on aluminium, and one on board. To be honest, the canvas ones look best imho, and in SWMBO's view too. I recommend you to our friends at Trade Canvas Print.

I have a number of B&W prints on canvas, a couple of colour on aluminium, and one on board. To be honest, the canvas ones look best imho, and in SWMBO's view too. I recommend you to our friends at Trade Canvas Print.
This :)

And 10% off at checkout with TP10 code, super fast service and very approachable if somethings not right, highly recommended

D

direct metal print works fine and would work OK in your modern kitchen. It doesn't like direct sunshine and is by far the most expensive option. I quite like the option with white showing through to bare metal. Perhaps for 1st and last images, which are the best ones of the lot.

Canvas is a very cheap option. Nothing really wrong with it. Matt options will have quite limited colour gamut and contrast. That's just how matt papers work and particularly cheap ones.

Acrylic is again very expensive and looks good but I hear they can scratch very quickly and easily. Maybe Ok if you just quickly and hang it, leave it and never ever touch them again.

The spotlights do worry me a bit. I am not a huge fan of hard light

Back