How to photograph a Steam Train at night?

• Thread starter Deleted member 88938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88938

My local Steam Railway is running special night time Christmas trains. Checkout the video on there website. www.dsrrbchristmas.co.uk/train-of-lights

What I want to ask is, how do I photograph (what settings) a steam train with Christmas lights all over it at night time?

I take it that it would be impossible to photograph it while its moving due to the lack of light, so I want to photograph it while its stood still at the station.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Cool subject Colin! I can't help you but looking forward to the replies from the photo gurus on here :)

Same here, cannot help with settings but I'm sure someone will jump in, looks a really cool evening out, will be great for families :)

try tripod turn off any lens stabilisation
manual setting
open up to the widest setting on the lens to start with may need to close it down for more dof
go into live view focus manually
cover eye piece so no stray light enters
try 5 sec 10 sec 15 sec exposure time etc till you get the exposure that you want
iso at its lowest native setting ie 100
its just a matter of adjusting the settings till you get what your looking for
its easy really

I've seen some cool effects using the 'pop-n-blur' technique.

As I understand it, you would set up for a long exposure as @holty suggests, then set your camera up for 2nd curtain sync, then hit the shutter just as the train is moving out.

Or you could hold the flash, and pop it manually towards the end of the exposure - thus avoiding the need to set up 2nd curtain.

You might get some cool light trails from the lights, and a crisp exposure of the front of the train....or whichever part you have flashed.

I believe it's a variation of a double exposure technique, but I'm ashamed to say I've never tried it....just read about it and seen some cool images of it.

As others have said, good luck, and I'll be interested to see what results you get, whatever you do. :)

Last edited:
I don't know what you are trying to do but if you want a photo of a steam train at night you do not use flash at all.Unless you are O Winston Link.

I don't know what all this 2nd curtain sync is about as the train should not be moving and flash should not be used.

Set up at a location were you know that train will stop use a tripod do some test exposure shots and wait for the train. When tha train arrives just take a photo of it.

Just remember that the wind needs to be blowing away from you and towards the train so the steam is clear of the shot.

Attached is a photo of O. Winton link with the flashgun required to photograph moving steam trains at night.

O winston Link red.png

Respectfully,

I was merely thinking of ideas that might look nice....sorry you don't agree....however, I wasn't aware that trains shouldn't be moving in order to photograph them....must have missed that lesson!

Speaking of which....2nd curtain sync is a method of firing the flash right at the end of an exposure, when the shutter closes, as opposed to at the beginning, which is called 1st curtain sync, and is usually the default setting.
It is a way of achieving a motion blur effect, with a sharp image of the vehicle or moving object in the same exposure.

By the way, did you look at the video posted by the OP....those christmas lights would look pretty cool as light trails....in my opinion - that last bit is what you missed out of your post by the way!;)

Respectfully,

I was merely thinking of ideas that might look nice....sorry you don't agree....however, I wasn't aware that trains shouldn't be moving in order to photograph them....must have missed that lesson!

Speaking of which....2nd curtain sync is a method of firing the flash right at the end of an exposure, when the shutter closes, as opposed to at the beginning, which is called 1st curtain sync, and is usually the default setting.
It is a way of achieving a motion blur effect, with a sharp image of the vehicle or moving object in the same exposure.

By the way, did you look at the video posted by the OP....those christmas lights would look pretty cool as light trails....in my opinion - that last bit is what you missed out of your post by the way!;)
I have never said that trains should not be moving to photograph them. I said you don't photograph them on a night when they are moving wait until they stop.

Please read my post again and you will see that.:D

@Jedi Colin depends what sort of shot your after, by the sounds of it your after a static shot of the train. As others have said you will need a tripod, put your camera in to manual mode, exposure of a few seconds, set apeture as low as possible and iso as high as you can get away with. You could also consider a moving shot, as others have suggested, which if you did a light trail landscape shot of the train it can look amaizing. I'm not really an expert on light trails and have only done them a handful on times but again you can use similar settings of shutter speed of a few seconds.

Just to let you know that I might now not go out to photograph this train.

I contacted the Dartmouth Railway asking if photographers were allowed at the stations on the line, they replied saying: No, as the stations will be closed.

Is it possible to get a platform ticket at either end of the trip? While the train might be non-stop from A-B, passengers must be able to get on (and off!) at one end at least, so that/those stations must be open even if the others are closed.

Just to let you know that I might now not go out to photograph this train.

I contacted the Dartmouth Railway asking if photographers were allowed at the stations on the line, they replied saying: No, as the stations will be closed.
The train has to start and terminate somewhere.If it is carrying passengers then those stations are open!

or throw your ISO up to 100,000 so you still get 1/2000s shutter and claim the grain adds periodic character

I don't know what you are trying to do but if you want a photo of a steam train at night you do not use flash at all.Unless you are O Winston Link.

I don't know what all this 2nd curtain sync is about as the train should not be moving and flash should not be used.

Set up at a location were you know that train will stop use a tripod do some test exposure shots and wait for the train. When tha train arrives just take a photo of it.

Just remember that the wind needs to be blowing away from you and towards the train so the steam is clear of the shot.

Attached is a photo of O. Winton link with the flashgun required to photograph moving steam trains at night.

View attachment 139718
Did they have the ability to shoot at high iso?

Dont use a flashgun on any railway or they will throw you off and not welcome you back anytime. Its a safety issue for the drivers and it is well known amongst professional and amateur railway photographers not to attempt it. Do long exposures with a tripod, but also be aware that in many locations a tripod is also seen as a safety issue and is unwelcome.

Use available light, a high ISO, or Geko the camera to something immovable.

It is possible and a great challenge but takes many years to learn and most of it is experience and manual settings. Good fun when it works out though.

The most difficult of these here being a moving real steam train taken on the underground (!) Absolutely no tripods or flash allowed and no natural light.

http://mainlinephotography.photium.com/tornado-awaiting-time-at-sheffield

http://mainlinephotography.photium.com/photo18612604.html

Last edited:
Back