weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

GarethB

Likes to peek
Name
I don't even know anymore!
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Week 1 - New

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

This is a new hobby I've just discovered.
Hobby electronics!
It won't replace photography of course, but it's great fun building things out of wires and stuff!!

This is just a couple of components and an Arduino Nano on a perforated circuit board, sitting atop a big, black tile....with some bokeh thrown in the background for good measure.

Hope you like it...thanks for looking.:)

TP-52-2019 wk-1
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

Last edited:
New is a cool shot Gareth, and really love the bokeh too as it`s all good and colourful. A good trick for bokeh too is, grab a square bit of Tin Foil screw it up then carefully unroll it and wrap it round some cardboard shine a light on it and take a photo of a little object placed in front.

Works very well with the circuit board
and the bokeh background is good
I hope you don’t need to solder any smd’s

Nicely done Gareth - that's something different to the norm. I do like the bokeh and the flare of the blurred light

New
A good dof, a nice bit of bokeh. I would just like to have seen a little more foreground, just to include the three pins touching the circuit board.

New is a cool shot Gareth, and really love the bokeh too as it`s all good and colourful. A good trick for bokeh too is, grab a square bit of Tin Foil screw it up then carefully unroll it and wrap it round some cardboard shine a light on it and take a photo of a little object placed in front.
Thank you Dave...great idea for the bokeh! I used some fairy lights...all the tin foil was used on the Christmas turkey!!!:D

Works very well with the circuit board
and the bokeh background is good
I hope you don’t need to solder any smd’s

Thanks Peter.:)
I chose to shoot some new components, so I wouldn't have to inflict my disastrous attempts at soldering on you!!:D
But surface mount stuff? Way beyond my skills...and my eyesight!!!

Nicely done Gareth - that's something different to the norm. I do like the bokeh and the flare of the blurred light

Thank you Ian, most appreciated!(y)

New
A good dof, a nice bit of bokeh. I would just like to have seen a little more foreground, just to include the three pins touching the circuit board.

Thanks Dominic...I cheated a bit, in terms of placement of the components....they aren't soldered, they're just sitting on the board!:oops: :$
I thought I'd spare you having to look at my atrocious soldering!!
You make a good point however, I'll be more brave in future if I shoot more circuitry...and if my soldering skills improve!

A nice image to start your 52 proper, Gareth. Good use of shallow DOF and love the delicious bokeh.

Thank you kindly Stan...this shot seemed to cry out for some yummy bokeh!!:D

I like the bokeh background it suits the components well

Thanks @minx , most appreciated!(y)

Last edited:
Unusual interpretation of the theme, but works well and bokeh adds some extra interest..

Resistance is futile!

Nice one :)

Hi Gareth, I like it, nice addition of the bokeh in the background. Might have tilted the camera down a bit to get all of the board in.

Thank you Michael, I appreciate your looking and commenting.
You're right about tilting the camera, perhaps I rushed it a little, but also you would have seen that I merely placed the components on the board rather than soldering them!
This way you can imagine beautifully neat, professionally soldered joints rather than the complete dogs dinners that were my previous attempts!!:D

Looks interesting Gareth, both the new hobby and the shot itself.
Are we all going to be sending broken cameras to you to fix?

Many thanks Tim.(y)
I'd be only too glad to 'fix' any broken cameras...I've got some wires and a screwdriver now...and a soldering iron...on which I've only burned myself twice!
How hard can it be?!:D

Unusual interpretation of the theme, but works well and bokeh adds some extra interest..

Thank you Mandy, for taking the time to comment, most appreciated. :)

Resistance is futile!

Nice one :)

:LOL:

Thanks Dave!
Either that's a dig 'cos I didn't place a resistor in the image...or you're a trekkie!!!:D
Either way is fine by me...thanks for looking and commenting!(y)

That's an interesting subject, Gareth, and I really like the background bokeh - it adds a nice depth behind the sharp foreground detail (y)

My first thought was that I would have liked to see the front of the board where the three pins are disappearing to, but having read all the comments I can see why you did it this way. It's a nice idea to kick off your full 52 and I'm guessing this is the sort of thing you used to set up your waterdrop jiggery-pokery?

That's an interesting subject, Gareth, and I really like the background bokeh - it adds a nice depth behind the sharp foreground detail (y)

My first thought was that I would have liked to see the front of the board where the three pins are disappearing to, but having read all the comments I can see why you did it this way. It's a nice idea to kick off your full 52 and I'm guessing this is the sort of thing you used to set up your waterdrop jiggery-pokery?

Many thanks Andrea, and yes you guessed correctly.
There's been quite a lot of jiggery pokery...mostly resulting in what little hair I have left, disappearing ever more rapidly!:D
Oh and burning myself on that blasted soldering iron!!:banghead:
[**Note to self - DO NOT pick it up by the metal pokey bit on the end!!**]

Nice first image - and visually quite interesting to look at with the bokeh.

Think I would like to see the circuits fill the frame next time though!

Nice first image - and visually quite interesting to look at with the bokeh.

Think I would like to see the circuits fill the frame next time though!

Thanks Grant, appreciate your comment.
[**Whispers**] Keep it to yourself....there actually isn't a circuit!:D
They're kinda plonked on an empty perf board!;)
Good point though...when (if) my soldering improves, I'll show it in all its 'glory'!

Well you took me back a few years with this shot, changed hundreds of tip 120's on Pinball Machines in a different life. Nice shot, well composed really like the Bokeh, you have handled the lighting very well.

Well you took me back a few years with this shot, changed hundreds of tip 120's on Pinball Machines in a different life. Nice shot, well composed really like the Bokeh, you have handled the lighting very well.

Thanks Roger, you gotta love them ol' Darlington trannies....
....hmm....that sounded a lot different in my head!:D

Hi Gareth, I have no idea what you are talking about in the description lol but a nice sharp image and a nice bit of bokeh. Good Start :D

Good luck with your 2019 challenge, that looks like an interesting new hobby you have got into, nice start to your challenge with that image.

Thank you Mandy...just need to start building my robot army now...then the world will be mine!! MWAHAHAHAHAA!!:naughty:

Hi Gareth, I have no idea what you are talking about in the description lol but a nice sharp image and a nice bit of bokeh. Good Start :D

Thanks Georgina, 3 weeks ago I didn't know what all that stuff meant either!:LOL:

Week 2 - Clean (Cut) - B&W (Technique)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

I struggled on this one...eventually settling for a pair of hairdressers scissors that I borrowed from my Mum!
It could work as a 'clean' image, ie no background...simple composition/lighting etc.

I have also processed it as a B&W, although it didn't really need anything since it was pretty much mono anyway.

Hope you like it, thanks for looking folks!:)

TP-52-2019 wk2 - Clean
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a great shot and it suits mono perfectly. I had the same idea but with a toothbrush, but I wasn't happy with the results.

Thank you Bob.
Toothbrush sounds interesting...I had to do a lot of 'clean-up' on the spots and blemishes on those scissors...they're circa 1960!
Probably wouldn't have been necessary on a toothbrush...unless perhaps it's also a similar vintage!!:LOL:

Thanks Tim(y)

I fiddled around a lot with the lighting, but settled on one flash bounced off the white wall behind, and another with a mini softbox at about 45 degrees to camera axis left, facing the scissors, to pick out some highlights.
The scissors are sitting on a black shiny tIle.
It worked out quite well, creating a sort of 'vignetted' look which works ok, I think.
I'd love to say that I planned it like this, but it was kinda trial and error!:D

Reactions: LC2
Back