How to photograph fireworks?

Name
Alanna
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm going to a professional fireworks display for Guy Fawkes night this year and I want to take some nice shots of the fireworks. It's not something I've ever tried before so I need some tips and advice.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the best aperture and shutter speed settings are for a shoot like this? Do I need to change my ISO or will the camera default be enough?

Anything that anyone can offer on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Alanna :)

Wide angle lens would work well to get a decent view of the sky from a tripod and round about ISO100 in manual mode with an aperture of F16. Shutter speed of approx 2-3 sesonds but you could extend up to about 6-7 seconds and use a remote to fire the shutter and eliminate camera shake (y)

For fireworks I use ISO100, F16, bulb exposure, mirror lockup, a tripod and a cable release.

Set the camera up on the tripod aiming at the fireworks, click the cable release to lock the mirror up, then press and hold for a few seconds of fireworks, usually 7-10 seconds depending on how densely they're being launched. Turn off in camera noise reduction or each frame you take you'll lose the same again whilst it takes a black frame.

Make sure you have AUTO ISO OFF.

You also need to think about focusing. Since its dark the camera is not going to focus quickly (if at all). So I find the best thing to do is focus on something a similar distance away to where the fireworks will be BEFORE it goes too dark and then set to manual focus. That way when the fireworks start it doesn't need to focus.

I would also consider what your composition will be. Do you want background details to give context - such as people, buildings... or do you just want the fireworks exploding full frame ? If the location is local to you I would pay a visit first with you camera and work out what you want to include/not include in the frame. This will also help you decide which lens you should use.

Good luck (y)

i took some fireworks images a couple of weeks ago, have a look at the Exif data for each to get an idea of what settings I had (click on a thumbnail, then click the Actions drop-down, top left of the image).

I'm not saying they're perfect settings, but will give you an idea of results you can expect. I did up the exposure in post-production a tiny bit, and used quite a bit of 'fill light' to bring out some details from the beach/foreground.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mybenners/sets/72157627775138576/

1. pack a torch
2. tripod essential
3. remote/timer release
4. exposure seconds plus
5. WB = daylight
6. Go on a hike, you need to be a long way away from the action
7. manual focus (focus on infinity, or very slightly closer)
8. Speak to the guys doing the fireworks (they can tell you where, when, how high)
9. ISO 100
10. F16 works OK
11. Pack a "bad ass" torch and do some lightpainting, especially useful if you leave the shutter open for 10 seconds plus. if you try this WB may be an issue, swap to tungston, or PRE (or whatever)

Back