How to reduce noise?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Is there any software to remove noise reduction or is it just a case of a poor camera? i have a canon 1100d i know there not the best out there but looking for ways to improve low light videos?

Hi,

You need to keep the ISO low enough to prevent excessive noise and the shutter speed short enough to prevent too much motion blur. Most TV is shot at 25 fps with a 50th of a second shutter.

By changing the aperture, you regulate the amount of light. If your aperture isn't wide enough you need to add more light. Or buy a Day-for-Night filter.

Modern encoders like H.264 do remove noise when you encode to them - but may make the picture soft.

Is there any software to remove noise reduction or is it just a case of a poor camera? i have a canon 1100d i know there not the best out there but looking for ways to improve low light videos?

A fast lens would be the best way. You using the kit lens that came with it? Let's assume you are shooting at f4.5 @ ISO3200 at night... If you used a f2.8 lens then you'd be able to shoot at ISO160o or less... with a f1.4 lens you;d only need ISO800. A fast lens is a must for any low light work. Obviously, if you NEED to stop down for effect, or if deep DOF is needed, then you have no choice but to up the ISO, and that's when using a very low noise camera comes into it's own.

Back