How to remove hair in viewfinder?

Edit My Images
No
So I appear to have a tiny hair stuck that I can see in my viewfinder. It's doesn't appear to be on the external as I've given it a good clean, it's not on the lens as it's there with it removed, and it's not appearing on any images. I've tried a rocket blower and it's not shifting. It's just on the bottom edge and nothing I've tried will move it. Any suggestions?

Probably on the focus screen, if you look inside through the lens hole and up towards the viewfinder, you’ll see it. Its a glass plate sitting horizontal. It’s very delicate and easily scratched. if it’s not coming out with air, then I’d leave it tbh.

Don't go blasting air about in the mirror box, all manner of crap in there that will soon be all over the place.
You can remove or even replace the focus screen, but as Tom says they are fragile.
They come with a special little tool to remove/replace them and not advisable poking about with tweezers

Thanks just watched a video on changing the screens which seemed relatively straight forward (with the right tool obviously). Might be something I do in the future if it drives me nuts! Although I suppose could remove and clean it potentiall (I understand they're fragile!).

Thanks just watched a video on changing the screens which seemed relatively straight forward (with the right tool obviously). Might be something I do in the future if it drives me nuts! Although I suppose could remove and clean it potentiall (I understand they're fragile!).

Fighting a losing battle i'm afraid, tiny live insects are very annoying when they get in there.

Which camera make & model is it?

I think the 40D's focus screen is removeable but not sure as I didn't have one.

I'm going to disagree with the advice above and recommend a rocket blower. I owned DSLR's for well over a decade and regularly used a rocket blower. On DSLR's the shutter will be closed so the chance of blowing something onto the sensor may be reduced but even if not it is imo very unlikely that you'll damage anything. Keep the blower at a safe distance so you don't touch anything with it and all should be fine.

The worst camera I had for contamination was the original 5D. I used to remove and clean the focus screen, it really isn't difficult but be aware that they can be damaged by hard objects so no scraping it clean with your boot scraper :D

would 5 seconds with a vacuum cleaner do it obviously using the hose attachment

Back