How to set Canon 7D filenames to specific number?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I just bought a mint 7D over the weekend. Shutter count is 5970 confirmed. However, filenames are on the 8k mark. How can I set the filenames to the same shutter actuation?
I know years ago (with my 1D MKIII and 20D), there was a way of setting the filename to something specific but I can't find any info now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like you inserted a CF card from another Canon body with an 8000 odd count that set the camera to that level!

Take a CF and format it in a card reader attached to a computer that will remove all canon body data. Then format it in the 7D body remove and via pc transfer a file with "that" number to the card....reinsert in the 7D...... AFAIK that should reset the 7D.

FWIW I have my Canon bodies set to 'continuous count' to maintain such continuity.

The above is from memory but is as I recall the protocol you are asking about?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll try that. That was what I was talking about... I just couldn't remember exactly how and if it still worked.

And yes, I always have my cameras set to continuous..
I'll try this tomorrow and hopefully will work :)

Sounds like you inserted a CF card from another Canon body with an 8000 odd count that set the camera to that level!

Take a CF and format it in a card reader attached to a computer that will remove all canon body data. Then format it in the 7D body remove and via pc transfer a file with "that" number to the card....reinsert in the 7D...... AFAIK that should reset the 7D.

FWIW I have my Canon bodies set to 'continuous count' to maintain such continuity.

The above is from memory but is as I recall the protocol you are asking about?

Unfortunately it didn't work - took a photo and it wrote that photo as the filename that is numbered 8k :( It didn't follow the number from the one photo i inserted with the edited filename

From my manual
The file name has four alphanumeric characters followed by a four-digit image number (p.193) and extension. The first
four alphanumeric characters are set upon factory shipment and unique to the camera. However, you can change them.
With "User setting1", you can change and register the four characters as desired. With "User setting2", if you register three characters, the
fourth character from the left will be appended automatically to indicate the image size.

Any good?

Unfortunately it didn't work - took a photo and it wrote that photo as the filename that is numbered 8k :( It didn't follow the number from the one photo i inserted with the edited filename
You have to turn off continuous filenames to reset the img no lower.

From my manual
The file name has four alphanumeric characters followed by a four-digit image number (p.193) and extension. The first
four alphanumeric characters are set upon factory shipment and unique to the camera. However, you can change them.
With "User setting1", you can change and register the four characters as desired. With "User setting2", if you register three characters, the
fourth character from the left will be appended automatically to indicate the image size.

Any good?
Thanks. I actually wasn't given the manual with this camera so your info will be useful.

Back