How to spend £1,000

Edit My Images
Yes
I was given a bonus today by my boss and as I have been thinking about buying some new camera gear, it couldn't have come at a better time. So ... how should I spend £1,000? I am looking for a new body and anything else I can afford. I currently have a Nikon D50 which I will keep as my second body, plus a 50mm 1.8; a Tamron 105 Macro; a Nikon 70-300; plus a flash. My main interests are sport ... indoor and outdoor... portraits and concerts. Any thoughts?

Have a night of wine, women and song and waste the rest on photography kit.

send a cheque made out to Jimmy_Lemon :D

I am guessing you will want to keep with Nikon, so will let one of the Nikon lovers guide you :p

:canon:

Sell the D50 and the 70-300 (unless its the VR) - should net you around £300. Do you really need two bodies?

D80 body only - £489 from cameras2u

Tokina 12-24 - £249 from One Stop Digital

Sigma 24 - 70 f/2.8 - £220 from One Stop Digital

Nikon 70 - 300 VR - £300 from One Stop Digital

Spend the change on a bag

EDIT: Having re-read your post you may not have much use for a UWA like the Tokina and if you are shooting indoor sports and low light concerts you may need something faster than the 70-300 VR. Long and fast will blow your bonus (and some more!) on just one lens though.

Cheapest long/fast options I can think of, depending on what kinds of concerts and sports and hence what sorts of distance/lighting. If f2.8 is fast enough and/or 85 to 100mm or so is long enough, you've got some pretty decent options available.

180/2.8 AF-N ED version. Goes for £200-300 for E+ used. One of the best lenses Nikon ever made too, in terms of sheer image quality, but maybe quite not fast enough for your needs? (I'm told the D50 is pretty decent at high ISO though.) I think it's at least as good as the 70-200 VR in terms of sheer image quality, although obviously it can't compete with it for convenience except in terms of size and weight. It's so light you can pack it just in case.

85/1.8 AF. Goes for about £200 E+. Fast, maybe not long enough, but nobody ever complained this one wasn't very sharp. The 85/1.4 is a bit better shot wide open, but is also about x3 the price and it's certainly not x3 better.

80-200/2.8 AF ED (push-pull version) very decent zoom for about £200-300 quid in E+ condition. Reputed to suck in dust due to push-pull design, but the newer AF-S versions that don't suck dust, are x2 the price or more.

105/2 DC. Awesome professional portrait lens. Would work very well as a concert and sports lens assuming that 105 was enough range and it'd potentially give your stuff a unique 'look' that'd make it stand out from the crowd. Since the new 105/2.8 VR micro came out, I've been seeing a few of these going used for under £500 in E+ or better condition.

Back