How to start a Career in Motorsport Photography?

Name
Cezare White
Edit My Images
No
Hello all.

I'm trying to aim my photography (at the moment in spare time)
towards Motorsports!

I love it! and want to focus my self towards this.
I've contacted local Car clubs, circuits, press and local indoor karting
(luckily just across the road from me at work) and have done some photography for them. (all free as I want it for my Portfolio)

I work at Thomas Cook as a Photography Executive, and though I have managed to get some of my Photography published in there for Sicily,
I'm trying to work out how to get Media Access into my local circuits.
because there is only so much you can take with a camera in the crowd.
and I'm getting tired of people's heads or metal fences getting in the way!

I've sent a email to Motorsport Vision, but they require...

Hi Cezare,

In order for you to be able to have a media pass for the BTCC you need to complete and return the document attached to us as soon as possible. Along with this document, we need to have a letter from the editor of the publication you will be covering the event for on headed paper. Finally, we also need to see two pieces of evidence of your published work. The attached form mentions this on it. If you can return all of this to us either via post, e-mail, or fax then we can have a look at your application and see if media accreditation can be applied to it.

I don't have any Photography so far that I have had published
(Motorsport wise, nor that I have tried) as I've been building a portfolio of all my work I've done in the past few years.

I want to setup myself as a Freelancer Photographer or Small Media Agency.
travelling to local events and race meetings.

I just not sure what route I need to take and if someone who runs there own small business or freelance can get Media Access to Racing Events?

I have all my equipment insured and 5mil Public Liability sorted.
just not sure how I would go about getting Media Access unless I'm working for a Media Agency... Is there anyone who could give me some advice on what I need to do.

how do I get started?

Thanks for your time,
Kind Regards,

Cezare

p.s here is my old site http://www.cezarewhite.com/Photography/home.html
(everything on there is around 2-3 years + old on there) my Photography has got alot better, which is why I'm building a strong portfolio offline while I work on it then build it together with my new site :)

which will include all my Motorsport Photography that I have taken from where the crowd sites. but still have some good photo's. just would like alot more!

couldnt see any motorsport shots on your site but that is one slick site man..I like it alot.

cheers,
but yes that's because its the old website.
the New one will have everything, Motorsport, Travel, Macro,
Panoramic and so on that I have done within the last couple of years.

I have lots stored on my external hard drives, just still going through it all.
trying to get everything categorised and key worded. :)

then I'll finish the new site off. :)

before anyone else replies to this i'd just like to say a few things
i've seen these threads start on certain other forums and a lot of the replies are less than helpful and darn right rude.

I'm hoping that as a friendly forum we can buck that trend and be welcoming to a new member.
Also, I know the subject of giving away free photos can get quite heated, so please keep this one on topic and discuss the giving away of photos here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=81311

Easier said than done... anything in particular that you want to cover - do you want to make it a full time job, or just something to do at weekends?

before anyone else replies to this i'd just like to say a few things
i've seen these threads start on certain other forums and a lot of the replies are less than helpful and darn right rude.

I'm hoping that as a friendly forum we can buck that trend and be welcoming to a new member.
Also, I know the subject of giving away free photos can get quite heated, so please keep this one on topic and discuss the giving away of photos here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=81311

Im assuming that this is a mistake and posted in the wrong thread.:shrug:

someone did say that this place was not so friendly, spose this bears it out:(

appologies Cezare
back on topic.

dont get me wrong, i didnt mean TPF wasnt friendly.. I meant i have seen these threads on OTHER forums and they have gone a bit unpleasant.. TPF is the friendliest forum so we are safe here :)

Cezare....the old site is superb with some good pictures.....:clap:

afraid i can help with the question on motorsport though...:shrug:

Leigh

Cezare, unfortunately there are hundreds of togs that would like to break into this and get the other side of the fence me included. You've already found the catch 22. For most of the major race series you need to have already been published and have a commission from an editor of a recognised publication. But to get a commission to be published you need trackside access. Your best bet would be to start with some club racing rather than a major series if you want to be freelance. It will take perseverance and you may not make any money for quite some time so don't give up the day job just yet. If you're lucky you'll get some work published and get picked up[ by a publication. I used to be a member of another forum that was frequented by some of the regular bike togs and even some of them were giving it up because the money simply wasn't there and it was becoming ever more difficult to get accreditation. That forum has now folded and one or two of them are on here now and again so may chip in. Don't want to put you off too much but it isn't an easy game to get into.

I dont mean to brag but I am in a good postion. I have 1 year before I am old enough to get trackside which means I have a years worth of practice. Also a year to get published. My advice would be to practice for a season or so, along hte way getting known with the clubs and hopefully published then start applying the year after once you have a good idea of what motorsport 'toggin takes etc.

I want to setup myself as a Freelancer Photographer or Small Media Agency.
travelling to local events and race meetings.

I just not sure what route I need to take and if someone who runs there own small business or freelance can get Media Access to Racing Events?

Speaking as one of the people who does earn some money in Motorsport Photography I think the first thing you need to know is that there is very very little money in it.
Mike is one of the few individuals (at a guess there must be about 10?) that does it full time.
Its really hard to get in to and you need a mixture of luck, talent and 'gift of the gab' to get into it. I would say you need at least 2 of those 3 things :)

So, the first thing is to grasp the reality of the situation. Its a low paid job and not a very secure one at that.

But if you still want to go for it, then do it :)

Get a good portfolio, get to know as many people as you can.
Find a good publication you can work for and get as much experience as you can.
Oh and get as much waterproof clothing as possible!

And the golden rule? Dont give up your day job for motorsport photography unless you get 6 numbers and the bonus ball :)

If you think that shooting BTCC for example at the weekends is going to make you a packet, then you will probably end up disappointed. Most of the big series and teams are already sorted as far as photographers go, and no doubt many of the smaller teams have plenty of wannabes banging on their doors... a lot of them are quite happy with what I would consider sub standard images from people who charge very little, if anything, and wouldn't dream of paying a respectable rate.

If you are looking for a full time position, I would look at other activities taking place at tracks, driving experiences, track days etc. and see if any of those need any photography doing. Many will already have full time people, but as it's not an as an attractive proposition as photographing an exciting race day, there's going to be less people trying to get in. Then try getting to some club races for smaller publications, and getting your face known around the circuits. It's a slow process, but with patience, professionalism and perserverance it could pay off.

That is, unless all you really want a media pass for is to get in front of the fences at your favourite race meeting, in which case I would say, stick to being a spectator!

Good Morning all.

Thanks for all the replies.
For me working at Thomas Cook is ok right now, I have some debts to pay off and want to buy all new camera equipment (when the new 5D comes out) and most likely... want to travel the world in a year or two (with a nice discount from TC, hopefully) but the Job I'm doing at the moment is just a Photography Executive. (sounds nice, but it isnt) its alot of spreadsheets, tracking and keeping tabs on all the photography TC has. I've only managed to go on one shoot to Sicily, and been there since last November. its not enough for me, and I have lots of goals I want to accomplish and working in a 9-5 job doesn't do it for me no matter how much they pay me.

I would rather go try and make it solo, as the Photographers we hire get paid quite a bit... and there has been some I have booked, that have been downright awful! and I'm thinking... if they can get paid for this kind of work... why Cannot myself...

I guess its not that high paid if your just aiming to do that just on its own.
I think I have enough variations in my portfolio now to branch out in many area's.
just need some bigger gear and more time to do it.

Plus, I can do both Graphic Design and Photography.
and have had some work for both just doing things after work and weekends.
(but its not enough) and working at TC my creativity is lacking, there's no progression. and its not that high paid job that I would want to stay there for many years.

So I'm not worried about how much I earn if I leave. I would just rather enjoy the work, have my creativity and get to do what I want to do, as I'm only 24 and don't have any commitments, so I have many years to get established somewhere. other than sitting behind a computer for many years at work and not going anywhere...

anyhow enough of my life story.

My Local press said they would help with media passes for events if I can find anyone that is local that is participating in it.

for now I'll stick to behind the fence, and learn more, contact local clubs and drivers and get passes that way if they need someone to cover them photography wise at a event.
get to know them, and help out when I can.

one thing I do need to read up on here,
is how much should I be charging Photography wise.

I need to google!

Thanks all for the responses :)

Cezare

p.s
thanks Mike for those wise words.
I'll definitely think about it, best thing I can do right now is focus on getting my portfolio done, website, business cards everything I need to pass on my contact details & portfolio to local clubs, events.
and just keep focused on what I wish to do I might be able to make a career change depending on how much work I get.

good thing about working in TC at the moment is we have some good photographers who do it for a living so I'm sure they will help me in anyway they can. (as long as its not taking there job ;) )

I remember reading in digital photography magazine or one like it that people are far more likely to get published if they submit photographs to an editor along with a written piece on the event, a bit like a completed article, apparently it can make the editors life easier.

If you think that shooting BTCC for example at the weekends is going to make you a packet, then you will probably end up disappointed. Most of the big series and teams are already sorted as far as photographers go, and no doubt many of the smaller teams have plenty of wannabes banging on their doors... a lot of them are quite happy with what I would consider sub standard images from people who charge very little, if anything, and wouldn't dream of paying a respectable rate.

If you are looking for a full time position, I would look at other activities taking place at tracks, driving experiences, track days etc. and see if any of those need any photography doing. Many will already have full time people, but as it's not an as an attractive proposition as photographing an exciting race day, there's going to be less people trying to get in. Then try getting to some club races for smaller publications, and getting your face known around the circuits. It's a slow process, but with patience, professionalism and perserverance it could pay off.

That is, unless all you really want a media pass for is to get in front of the fences at your favourite race meeting, in which case I would say, stick to being a spectator!

Yep id agree with that fully, but from a different race series, ultemantly the sports will start to suffer.

TBH i enjoy the sport and the ability to shoot what i want rather then what the sponsors, temas, media want. You quite often find media outlets are only after a type of shot, so you still dont have full creative forces to do what you want.

I remember reading in digital photography magazine or one like it that people are far more likely to get published if they submit photographs to an editor along with a written piece on the event, a bit like a completed article, apparently it can make the editors life easier.

Then that also depends if the editor has any interest in motorsport himself, or what other sports news is available that week. If there is a local derby football match that coming weekend forget getting anything published in local papers. If there is an England match that coming weekend you can also forget it.
I have an agreement with one of the local media, I have something printed every fortnight, sometimes it doesn't fall right for the event I am covering, but it's better than nothing and I get something in print 26 times a year in just one paper. The reason behind this is the editor is a big rugby fan and his mate plays for the team he supports, so he gets the other fortnightly slot. The sub-editor luckily is a motorsport fan, I hope he never leaves. :nono:

I've posted this several times elsewhere on other forums - people are probably sick of seeing it, and I guess it was only a matter of time before I ended up posting it here.
It's essentially related to motorsports photography but the principles are the same for any sport.
It's a bit long, I know, but It covers most things you probably need to know and, dare I say, it tells it like it is, for which I make no apologies.

A quick few words about my background.
I started my motorsport photography over 20 years ago when I stopped competing in rallies.
The biggest problem I and fellow competitors had back then was getting pics of ourselves.
When I finally parked the rally car, I still wanted to be involved. I picked up the camera and started taking pics at club level events to national championship level from spectator areas and selling them to competitors.
After a while I started submitting to a couple of motorsport magazines. It took a while but eventually, after about 3 years, I started getting some images published and then it snowballed from there to the point where I was able to get accreditation.
Today, I cover all types of motorsport and supply several magazines and agencies with images. I have also covered a number of different sports and events for image libraries including Federation Cup Tennis, International Netball, Wrestling, Pro Golf, AFL Football, International Soccer, Pro Cycling and several other sports and events.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself...

Firstly, what is your reason for wanting media credentials.
Are you a member of the media?
What can you give the organizers by your presence?

Media creds are usually only given to WORKING media. This means people working for and supplying bona fide media outlets ie: Magazines and newspapers and other recognised media outlets such as websites and press agencies.
I’ve been shooting sport, mainly motorsport for over 20 years, and still do club level and grass roots sports.
I supply several magazines and newspapers as well as photo agencies.
I often get asked…
"How do I get a pass to shoot from where you are?”
My reply usually goes something like this…
“How long have you been photographing (insert name of sport) and what outlet do you work for?
To which they reply something like…”Oh I never do. I just want to get in and shoot from where you are. I’m just taking photos for myself”
Ask yourself this…
If you’ve never taken a photograph of a Football (substitute for any sport) game, would you approach the FA (again substitute relevant organization) and say to them “Hey Mr FA Media Man, I’ve never taken a photo of a soccer match before but I think I’m a pretty good photographer, I’m not shooting for anyone except myself so you won’t get any publicity but can I have a media pass for the FA Cup Final…"
Seriously, what do you think they would say.
It would probably be cool to be there and you’d get off on it and brag to your friends, but seriously…
Unless you are working media, why should you be there.

Media credential's ARE NOT a free pass to get in to an event.

Admittedly, sometimes I have seen some people with creds who probably shouldn't have them - and people who probably should have them who don't - most of the time however it's not for me to make that decision.
I do sympathise with people who wish they could get creds for events and can't.
Event organizers are after publicity. You shooting for yourself does not give them that publicity and they do not have an obligation to give you a media pass just because you think you should have one. It is up to you to justify why you should be accredited.
Remember that the 'togs you see shooting at a track or sporting event etc are being paid by somebody therefore IT IS A JOB. They are not there for the fun of it.
Imagine if somebody came into your work place and thought it looks like cool job, do you think they'd just be able to start doing what you were for the fun of it?
Also, there is a whoooole lot more to it than just standing by the track and taking photo's. There are deadlines (sometimes very short) to meet and as a rule I would suggest that for the same amount of time spent trackside there is at least 1/2 to 3/4 of that time to be spent on editing, sending images etc when the day at the track has finished. If you spend 8 hours at the track, then you will usually spend another four to six hours, at least, once you have left the track on editing etc.
Not to mention arguing with editors about what to send and when etc...

I attend a lot of events where I don't have creds so I do know what it's like from behind the fence or in the bleachers, but I still manage to get good and sometimes great images.
It makes you see things differently and find different angles and ways of shooting.
I'd estimate that about 50% of events I go to, I don't have the magic press pass and pay to get in like everyone else.
Sometimes I'm just there for being there, and sometimes it might be a sport I've never shot before but want to see what it's like. Occasionally I do manage to sell some images.
Also, just because you have good gear doesn't mean you should be there either.
I've seen some 'togs with basic DSLR's and kit lenses take some better stuff than guys with 1D's and white lenses (and Nikon equivalent). I occasionally use a 400D with the 10-22 lens and have had those images published. I also use a sigma 10mm fisheye.
In closing, I will say this...
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.
If you want to have creds for big events, start shooting the grass roots of that sport (no it's not glamorous like the big events - but you'll probably make more money) and start supplying images to publications etc.
This is a great way to get yourself known to event organisers. They learn to know who you are and that you are committed to photographing their sport and being known is half the battle. This is not going to take 5 minutes and may take several years, yes... I did say years.
To do this you need to have passion for both the sport and your photography.
You must be prepared to put up with the elements, rain, hail, shine, and depending on the hemisphere, maybe snow (not generally an issue in Australia) etc etc.
Just like any job, sometimes it will NOT be fun and just plain hard work.
It just depends on how hard you are prepared to work to get there.

Except when learning to swim, always start at the bottom.
I see too many people trying to start right at the top. It doesn't work that way.
The only thing you start from the top is digging a hole.

Apologies if this appears blunt and straight to the point, but it's the reality of it.

philwillmedia said:
I've posted this several times elsewhere on other forums - people are probably sick of seeing it, and I guess it was only a matter of time before I ended up posting it here.
It's essentially related to motorsports photography but the principles are the same for any sport.
It's a bit long, I know, but It covers most things you probably need to know and, dare I say, it tells it like it is, for which I make no apologies.

A quick few words about my background.
I started my motorsport photography over 20 years ago when I stopped competing in rallies.
The biggest problem I and fellow competitors had back then was getting pics of ourselves.
When I finally parked the rally car, I still wanted to be involved. I picked up the camera and started taking pics at club level events to national championship level from spectator areas and selling them to competitors.
After a while I started submitting to a couple of motorsport magazines. It took a while but eventually, after about 3 years, I started getting some images published and then it snowballed from there to the point where I was able to get accreditation.
Today, I cover all types of motorsport and supply several magazines and agencies with images. I have also covered a number of different sports and events for image libraries including Federation Cup Tennis, International Netball, Wrestling, Pro Golf, AFL Football, International Soccer, Pro Cycling and several other sports and events.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself...

Firstly, what is your reason for wanting media credentials.
Are you a member of the media?
What can you give the organizers by your presence?

Media creds are usually only given to WORKING media. This means people working for and supplying bona fide media outlets ie: Magazines and newspapers and other recognised media outlets such as websites and press agencies.
I’ve been shooting sport, mainly motorsport for over 20 years, and still do club level and grass roots sports.
I supply several magazines and newspapers as well as photo agencies.
I often get asked…
"How do I get a pass to shoot from where you are?”
My reply usually goes something like this…
“How long have you been photographing (insert name of sport) and what outlet do you work for?
To which they reply something like…”Oh I never do. I just want to get in and shoot from where you are. I’m just taking photos for myself”
Ask yourself this…
If you’ve never taken a photograph of a Football (substitute for any sport) game, would you approach the FA (again substitute relevant organization) and say to them “Hey Mr FA Media Man, I’ve never taken a photo of a soccer match before but I think I’m a pretty good photographer, I’m not shooting for anyone except myself so you won’t get any publicity but can I have a media pass for the FA Cup Final…"
Seriously, what do you think they would say.
It would probably be cool to be there and you’d get off on it and brag to your friends, but seriously…
Unless you are working media, why should you be there.

Media credential's ARE NOT a free pass to get in to an event.

Admittedly, sometimes I have seen some people with creds who probably shouldn't have them - and people who probably should have them who don't - most of the time however it's not for me to make that decision.
I do sympathise with people who wish they could get creds for events and can't.
Event organizers are after publicity. You shooting for yourself does not give them that publicity and they do not have an obligation to give you a media pass just because you think you should have one. It is up to you to justify why you should be accredited.
Remember that the 'togs you see shooting at a track or sporting event etc are being paid by somebody therefore IT IS A JOB. They are not there for the fun of it.
Imagine if somebody came into your work place and thought it looks like cool job, do you think they'd just be able to start doing what you were for the fun of it?
Also, there is a whoooole lot more to it than just standing by the track and taking photo's. There are deadlines (sometimes very short) to meet and as a rule I would suggest that for the same amount of time spent trackside there is at least 1/2 to 3/4 of that time to be spent on editing, sending images etc when the day at the track has finished. If you spend 8 hours at the track, then you will usually spend another four to six hours, at least, once you have left the track on editing etc.
Not to mention arguing with editors about what to send and when etc...

I attend a lot of events where I don't have creds so I do know what it's like from behind the fence or in the bleachers, but I still manage to get good and sometimes great images.
It makes you see things differently and find different angles and ways of shooting.
I'd estimate that about 50% of events I go to, I don't have the magic press pass and pay to get in like everyone else.
Sometimes I'm just there for being there, and sometimes it might be a sport I've never shot before but want to see what it's like. Occasionally I do manage to sell some images.
Also, just because you have good gear doesn't mean you should be there either.
I've seen some 'togs with basic DSLR's and kit lenses take some better stuff than guys with 1D's and white lenses (and Nikon equivalent). I occasionally use a 400D with the 10-22 lens and have had those images published. I also use a sigma 10mm fisheye.
In closing, I will say this...
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.
If you want to have creds for big events, start shooting the grass roots of that sport (no it's not glamorous like the big events - but you'll probably make more money) and start supplying images to publications etc.
This is a great way to get yourself known to event organisers. They learn to know who you are and that you are committed to photographing their sport and being known is half the battle. This is not going to take 5 minutes and may take several years, yes... I did say years.
To do this you need to have passion for both the sport and your photography.
You must be prepared to put up with the elements, rain, hail, shine, and depending on the hemisphere, maybe snow (not generally an issue in Australia) etc etc.
Just like any job, sometimes it will NOT be fun and just plain hard work.
It just depends on how hard you are prepared to work to get there.

Except when learning to swim, always start at the bottom.
I see too many people trying to start right at the top. It doesn't work that way.
The only thing you start from the top is digging a hole.

Apologies if this appears blunt and straight to the point, but it's the reality of it.

Bit of a thread revival that - 4 years :LOL:

Bit of a thread revival that - 4 years :LOL:
haha...Holy thread revival Batman.
Don't I look like a right royal goose.
Not sure how I managed to do that.
Noticed the date but not the year...

Oh well...someone might find it useful.

It's a long post with a lot of words!

And he's only a snapper not a writer!!...

Actually, I've done a fair amount of event reporting and feature writing over the years as well...
...and there's nothing wrong with being ONLY a snapper.

Last edited:
Back