how to trim and organise footage when working with an external editor

Edit My Images
Yes
i've been shooting video jobs where i'm just a camera op and someone else is doing the edit- i'd kinda rather not let them see the entire clips warts and all, mostly so they dont see my mistakes but also so they dont have to sit through 10 minute gimbal sections to get a 30 second clip

so, is there an easy way to pre-prepare my clips for working with an editor? ideally, I could trim and trash the clips so that i'm handing over a fairly succinct selection of usable clips, but I can see that taking a long time to render and also quality loss? So I was also thinking of making a time line and trimming clips in there, but then i'm handing over gigs of data that I dont need to, which is something that would be useful to minimize in my own work too as my video archive is pushing a few terabytes now and with my photography i'd only end up keeping copies of the final edited images and alternative angles etc that might have some future use, i'd delete all the stuff I didnt intent to use, so just feels weird that I have hours and gigabytes of video cluttering up my hard drives

Sounds like you are working on jobs without a lot of storyboarding, pre- planning and art direction. When I work solely as a camera operator on jobs like this I just hand over all the footage on a hard drive at the end of the day. You just have to accept that they will see all the dodgy out of focus badly exposed stuff in these situations. Most of the stuff shot will not be used and it's really up to the person doing the editing and post production to wade through all the footage and pick out the usable stuff.

If the client is paying for me to thin out the footage and just select the usable stuff I will assemble all the good footage in premier pro and then send them a low res version of all that footage. They then come back to me with a list of the bits they want and I will send them over in Prores format for them to edit and grade.

thank you, that's excellent info

still I think it's silly there's no way to trim clips from within an NLE and push those changes back to the original file, would save me so much space- I also do long form recording of comedy shows, and I try and start/stop the recordings for each act but sometimes I just let it run because i'm busy doing other things, so having large sections of 4k footage where there's nothing on stage is adding up in terms of storage

Do you really need to supply in 4k. My clients never ask for 4k and I normally shoot and deliver HD which everyone is happy with. On the odd occasion when somebody wants 4k for chroma key work then I charge a premium to cover all the extra data handling, time and storeage costs.

Do you really need to supply in 4k. My clients never ask for 4k and I normally shoot and deliver HD which everyone is happy with. On the odd occasion when somebody wants 4k for chroma key work then I charge a premium to cover all the extra data handling, time and storeage costs.

unfortunately yes, because I never know how much of the stage a performer is going to use, so, I shoot wide, in 4k, then crop and deliver in 1080p- if i'm on site then I can zoom in and out as needed, but, often i'm snapping stills too, or i'm somewhere else shooting something another venue

Back