How to you pick your locations?

Edit My Images
Yes
im new to landscape photography and just curious how do people go about picking a location for the next shooting session?

What do you look for?

Sorry if it's a common thread if there's an open one please could someone link it.

Danny

Its a voyage of discovery:-

I research locations through books and the internet (sites like Shothotspot can be helpful, along with Google Images, Flickr 500px), I then build up a list of places that I think are worthy of a visit and include places that I am personally interested in, at the moment I'm visiting a number of Welsh Slate Quarries. So firstly build a bucket list.

Then when I know I have some time available, I look at weather forecasts local to regions on that list, that way I can hopefully get the location I want with the intended weather. Sunrise/Sunset times are also relevant, and if shooting seaside; tide tables. I find the site tides4fishing useful.

Then there is Photograhers Ephemeris to help you plan the angle of the sun, Ordnance Survey for the maps, Google Earth for the terrain overview

Of course you could just post or join a thread in the TP Meeting Place section........

• Where are you located?
  • How far are you willing to travel?
  • What sort of landscapes are you interested in shooting?

I look at maps. If you can read a map and have some basic general knowledge about the movement of the sun, tides and weather you'll get a few ideas. Some will be better than others, and sometimes you might find a location that's promising but not on the day you find it. So you make a mental note and go back again when you think the conditions will be better.

If you're really stuck.. I find "out the door, turn left and follow your nose" works quite well.

Its a voyage of discovery:-

I research locations through books and the internet (sites like Shothotspot can be helpful, along with Google Images, Flickr 500px), I then build up a list of places that I think are worthy of a visit and include places that I am personally interested in, at the moment I'm visiting a number of Welsh Slate Quarries. So firstly build a bucket list.

Then when I know I have some time available, I look at weather forecasts local to regions on that list, that way I can hopefully get the location I want with the intended weather. Sunrise/Sunset times are also relevant, and if shooting seaside; tide tables. I find the site tides4fishing useful.

Then there is Photograhers Ephemeris to help you plan the angle of the sun, Ordnance Survey for the maps, Google Earth for the terrain overview

Of course you could just post or join a thread in the TP Meeting Place section........

• Where are you located?
  • How far are you willing to travel?
  • What sort of landscapes are you interested in shooting?

You're a bit late to the party @Mr Perceptive

Find a 'tog buddy'.
Posts 1270 - 1286.
Do try and keep up:p

I think there are opportunities right there on your doorstep that you can overlook! This doesn't mean that I don't fantasise about more exotic/exciting locations;)! Good luck!

I'm hoping to get out on Wednesday or Thursday. Not sure where yet maybe the lakes.

I've never heard of shothotspot so will have a look at that.

I'm quite happy taking shots at locations already done for now as I compare my own efforts with others.

Thanks for the tips

Pretty much the same as the others have said, as I like going to the coast I'll use Google maps to look for possible interesting spots, then a flickr/500px/google search for the location. I also use the Ordinance Survey site for walking routes and maps.
Another tip is to use the pin tool in Google maps, save locations, you can also send that pin to your phone for navigation.

Not really plugging here but as a guy who's published a photography location guidebook there are quite a few things worth thinking about and some great resources to help.

Knowing the likely weather conditions can make a massive difference, no point choosing a location for a stunning sunrise if heavy cloud is going to kill it, or a "big mountain" location if the forecast is for fog/low cloud as you'll not even see the mountain.

In decent weather knowing where the sun is going to be is one of the key things, do you want lovely warm sunrise light on the mountain in front of you, sunrise/sunset in the frame, dark shadows for a silhouette .... use TPE, brilliant tool... http://photoephemeris.com/

Finding locations then facebook groups are really useful, most people will tell you where they've taken the photo from, Flickr, have a browse through hiking books.. most now include great photography.. the internet has made it so much easier these days.....and finally, a little plug ;-) but there's a growing number of photography location guidebooks that tell you pretty much everything you need to know...directions, best time of day/year to visit, ideal conditions etc... they can save you lots of time and improve your changes of coming home with great shots.

Simon

It's quite simple with me - wherever Mrs Lawsyd (with some input from me) decides we will walk the dog. We are lucky that we are only about an hour or so drive from North Wales; the Lancashire Coast; the Lake District; and the Yorkshire Dales. I might not always get perfect shooting conditions (Mrs Lawsyd seriously objects to leaving home well before dawn to greet the magic hour in Snowdonia!), but you do learn to take photos in all circumstances.

Local knowledge, OS maps and the Photographer's Ephemeris.

Just knowing an area is very useful when thinking about a possible shot.

OS maps are invaluable in checking out a new areas, though are also useful in areas you know well. The detail, even on the 1:50,000 maps, is excellent.

The Photographer's Ephemeris is used most, I reckon, for finding the direction of the rising and setting sun and how it will look in a location. It is also useful in finding the direction of the sun at any time of the day which can help to visualise how the light will appear in the scene.

Dave

And if today is anything to go by then you should totally ignore the BBC Weather Forecast!

Thomaz Shaftyourknackers said on Beeb last night that it would be sunny in N Wales all day with cloud from the approaching Storm Ida or Doris or who ever building up from about 4PM.
Sound good? Did to me.
What I got was cloud all day breaking up about 4PM - just as it was time to come home.
Nice bacon butties at the bottom of Rhuallt hill was the highlight of the day.

See you were on Siabod. That was in sunshine most of the day. I was over Llydaw and Idwal.
Must have driven past you between PYG and Ogwen.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot is going on in Capel Curig? Ellis Brigham is up for sale. Pinnacle cafe is closed. Joe Brown is still going but looks tired. Perhaps being next to the car park is saving him.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot is going on in Capel Curig? Ellis Brigham is up for sale. Pinnacle cafe is closed. Joe Brown is still going but looks tired. Perhaps being next to the car park is saving him.

EH????

Err. A simple question. You were in Capel were you not. If not how did you get up Siabod?

BY the holiday cottage AKA the steep bit!

You mean you drove past farmer feckin Jones who feckin lives at the feckin farmhouse on the feckin road? Did he feckin well not feckin see you? You would have feckin heard him. You were lucky not to get a face full of invective and spittle. He's well known as a nasty man, but then he is Welsh!
I presume you saw the ruined quarries near the lake, but that you didn't go though the dressing works near where you parked you car....

The mine works
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Last edited:
There you are @Mr Perceptive. I've corrected that for you.
I had a look at Penmaenmawr from the road yesterday. Then stared Googling. Looks like best approach is via Llanfairfechan and use the car to do most of the height gain. Nice parking spot shown on Google Earth.

Still looks like a ba*t*rd climb........is this Saturdays project??

Still looks like a ba*t*rd climb........is this Saturdays project??
Not from the back. I'll mail you the location.
Saturday? Could be. Any other suggestions?

This was yesterday!
On a tripod but so gloomy that a long shutter speed was needed. Wind was blowing a hoolie. Difficult to stand up at times.

FUJI7251.jpg

Back