How was this shot lit? A new challenge

Ok I'll tell
It's a white perpex background with a spotlight behind it covered with a yellow film or gel
The fall of off the light is controlled by the distance between the perspex and the spot.
While the bottle is exposed the perspex is covered with a black sheet, then the photo exposed again without the black sheet and only the spot behind alight
All the best Phillip

seeems no ones posted in a while, here is a nice easy once to get it going again:

3780621095_df61767594.jpg

seeems no ones posted in a while, here is a nice easy once to get it going again:

3780621095_df61767594.jpg

One light with snoot, on the left side back of her head, one light to the left side of her face (looking face on) probably set on a low setting :)

One light with snoot, on the left side back of her head, one light to the left side of her face (looking face on) probably set on a low setting :)

A good attempt - but I'm afraid its far faaaaaaar off the right track :( think much more simply :)

It's a square softbox in the Rembrandt position - above and left of camera

Now your getting closer! Your warm... but still, mooooore simple :)

Hmmn..
Well, that's what it looks like. But it could be the thing that a softbox often emulates - a window!

Bingo! Garry gets the chocolate :) Girl - Chair + Big window :)

I suppose that makes it my turn:crying:
So here's something a bit different, it isn't difficult because if you've read a recent post of mine you'll already know how it was done.
dvd_splash_web_small.jpg

This is 'as shot' but needs some tidying up

Me knows! Just watched and enjoyed the video.

Now where did I put that fishtank?

Not really sure on the light source, maybe some form of softbox on camera axis off to one side... CD dropped into water shot through glass and then flipped?.. Am I even warm lol?

Not really sure on the light source, maybe some form of softbox on camera axis off to one side... CD dropped into water shot through glass and then flipped?.. Am I even warm lol?

That bit's right, but definately not a softbox:)

Edit: not dropped, suspended

You need to think about the type of light that would produce that type of effect, and about the colours that are visible...

Right. Last go, Some type of reflector, probably with a honeycomb on camera axis to the front left of the product... maybe a yellow gel, or that could just be the effect of the water and the reflection off the CD surface... I'm not sure. (sure I can see that in the bubble reflection :D) Light from above and behind, red gel, probably another reflector used - I can tell from that red highlight from the edge of the cd, and surface bubbles.

Any closer?

Standard reflector on two of three heads, one rear, one top, one left of camera with a high intensity reflector, all with 10 degree honeycombs.

Fish tank full of water, camera set low so looking up through the tank to the surface of the water, CD taped to softbox rod and as shutter triggered water is poured onto the CD for bubbles and texture..

Standard reflector on two of three heads, one rear, one top, one left of camera with a high intensity reflector, all with 10 degree honeycombs.

Fish tank full of water, camera set low so looking up through the tank to the surface of the water, CD taped to softbox rod and as shutter triggered water is poured onto the CD for bubbles and texture..

You watched the video too then?

Right. Last go, Some type of reflector, probably with a honeycomb on camera axis to the front left of the product... maybe a yellow gel, or that could just be the effect of the water and the reflection off the CD surface... I'm not sure. (sure I can see that in the bubble reflection :D) Light from above and behind, red gel, probably another reflector used - I can tell from that red highlight from the edge of the cd, and surface bubbles. Any closer?
That's near enough, you win as you obviously didn't watch the video showing how it's done:)
Which means that you post the next one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Edges

You watched the video too then?
:LOL:

:banana: Didn't even know there was a video lol, pretty interesting stuff though. Hmmm I'll have a rummage around and see what I can find :)

RaquelZimmermannbyMarioSorrenti7.jpg

This picture was taken by the very talented Mario Sorrenti, the model is Raquel Zimmermann. I really want to know if this was just natural light, or with flash fill in: even what sort of lens etc... And if something similar could be achieved using a nikon d80

looks like the light source is coming from more or less directly above her, its pretty harsh - so I would have a stab at mid day sun. I don't see much evidence of fill.

Clamshell lighting, Rob. Looks like softy below and big umbrella box or octa above. 2/1 ratio?

Clamshell lighting, Rob. Looks like softy below and big umbrella box or octa above. 2/1 ratio?

Correct with technique :) But not the mods - I know the pics a bit small sorry, have another guess :) - EDIT: larger image added to my earlier post

Also, there is a little more going on you have missed, you will have to look quite hard for evidence of it though

Correct with technique :) But not the mods - I know the pics a bit small sorry, have another guess :) - EDIT: larger image added to my earlier post

Also, there is a little more going on you have missed, you will have to look quite hard for evidence of it though

Okay, it looks like a beauty dish above, brolly below and a hair light back camera left? Sorry, it's so long in replying, but I forgot!

Back