How was this taken?

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if in the wrong place to post.
I saw this picture today on fb and i liked it, What kind of lens gets this effect or how its taken?

16832247_415333345525694_100637449488289353_n.jpg

Last edited:
I would say it's an ultra wide angle lens (you can tell by the perspective distortion) on a drone as there aren't any bridges or anything close enough to get that kind of view with a UWA lens.

Scrap that, Westminster bridge probably is close enough so could well be taken from there (but still a UWA lens).

If folk weren't so casual about losing the attribution of images they download from the web to "share" on social media then it would be so much easier track it back to the original photographer and his exif intact original on Flickr..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sergioo/3447189790/

(hint, found in 10 secs with right-click and "Search Google for this image")

Yes its a UWA lens and it looks to have been taken from Westminster Bridge but I will defer on that ,but if you have a look on google earth something does not seem quite right.
On GE there is a large tree on the lawn and a large tower block to the left of the one in the photo

It's a normal shot. No special lens or effect. Our political class has completely lost the plot and the whole political edifice is collapsing in on itself naturally.

Last edited:
ahh thankyou, i think its a great pic and was curious

It's got a lot of impact. It's the type of picture that draws people into photography they want to shoot like this. I reckon you look at this in 5 yrs time and won't like it anymore, I could be wrong though. :)

Last edited:
I would say it's an ultra wide angle lens (you can tell by the perspective distortion) on a drone as there aren't any bridges or anything close enough to get that kind of view with a UWA lens.
If you started flying drones around there I imagine you'd quickly be attracting the Police's attention. :)

It's a normal shot. No special lens or effect. Our political class has completely lost the plot and the whole political edifice is collapsing in on itself naturally.
:LOL:

As Alistair pointed out above, the photographer's own Flickr page states it's with a Sigma 10-20 @10mm on a D300 bracketed +/- 1EV and merged into HDR.

Sorry if in the wrong place to post.
I saw this picture today on fb and i liked it, What kind of lens gets this effect or how its taken?

View attachment 96199

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would think this is a good photograph.

The photograph is over processed,over sharpened and way out of the characteristic,s of what was in the photographers eye.

Was it lomography or what, for me it is a waste of time.

Why post someone else,s photograph and do you have permission?

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would think this is a good photograph.

The photograph is over processed,over sharpened and way out of the characteristic,s of what was in the photographers eye.

:agree:

Oh please!
Was on Facebook, yes over sharpened etc but I was meaning I like the position etc it's taken.
Jeez lighten up

Why lighten up, this is photographic forum for photographs that we produce why on earth would you take a pic from Facebook and try to enlighten it,s aspects here.

Just keep it on Facebook where it belongs.

It was a fair question from a forum member who is genuinely interested in attaining a particular image, and using a photo from Facebook to illustate this.

I don't see anything wrong in this, particularly as FB has not prevented the OP from downloading and sharing said image.

It takes all sorts to make this world. Get over yourself.

Why lighten up, this is photographic forum for photographs that we produce why on earth would you take a pic from Facebook and try to enlighten it,s aspects here.

Just keep it on Facebook where it belongs.
She only asked what kind of lens would have been used.
As you say, it's a photography forum, and where better to ask for advice?
Whether or not you like the image is irrelevant.

Jeez the OP only asked a question, and gets their head bitten off.
Perhaps they wanted to ask on here as it 'should' be full of knowledgeable people, rather than keeping it to facebook. A post without said photo would be pretty pointless too.

I will agree with others that im not a fan of the photo and its over the top editing though

What a personality! Do you do kids parties?

The bridge throws up some interesting opportunities :D
154579053.jpg

When researching and image it's always useful to start by trying an image search to see if the original is available with further details (as was the case with this image), for anyone not familiar with how to do this see:
https://www.google.com/intl/es419/insidesearch/features/images/searchbyimage.html

Any lens (except perspective control lenses) will show a degree of this effect when pitched up from the horizontal axis, wider and non-rectilinear lenses will show it to a greater extent.

If you want to replicate the processing, look up "stuck in customs", his tutorials on the subject of HDR and tone-mapping will be forever remembered for associating what can be a useful techique when handled sympathetically with some of the worst examples of image mullering to be found on the internet this side of Portrait Pro.

I hope no one really needed any help to figure out where it was taken.

I would have no idea as to where it was taken from without recourse to Google Earth or similar - I'm not that familiar with London's river crossings (despite an ancestor having designed one of them.)

Although I don't usually mind exaggerated perspective, the shot in the OP looks almost as though it's had extra added as well as being well overcooked in PP (before lobbing it in the microwave for a bit more...) Byker's shot could do with a bit of reverse perspective correction - pointing the camera down to get the "interesting" shadows has made the HoP lean out at the top, which looks much more unnatural than the more normal vanishing point!

I would have no idea as to where it was taken from without recourse to Google Earth or similar - I'm not that familiar with London's river crossings (despite an ancestor having designed one of them.)
That's my reason for saying I'd hope no one would need to ask.. even without familiarity with a specific location there are so many tools available. The inclusion of the river in this shot makes it child's play to orientate yourself using an online aerial photo or map. Unless someone couldn't recognise the building, of course..

its definitely taken from westminster bridge, but tbh it's probably one of the worst images of the palace of westminster that i have ever seen! interesting angle but apart from that awful!

its definitely taken from westminster bridge, but tbh it's probably one of the worst images of the palace of westminster that i have ever seen! interesting angle but apart from that awful!

It was the angle that attracted me, that's it though

Back