How weatherproof is your camera

I would not shoot in the rain full stop unless it was my job obviously, I'm not rich enough to risk it

While they don't test non sealed cameras, it's reassuring to see that a camera worked after being dried out fully.
My camera isn't sealed, but I feel like I can at least leave panic for a few days after if my camera has issues after being caught in the rain.

Currently using a 5D IV and I've got it very wet without an issue, just left it on a radiator to dry out. Had a 760D before that which is not weather proof and that was fine after a night on the radiator.

That Sony doesn't do well ;)

I'm not sure why cameras cannot use the same IP ratings used for industrial hardware. Anyone know?

Good/interesting test though. Would have been nice to see Fuji, Pansonic and Pentax there as well.

Last edited:
Currently using a 5D IV and I've got it very wet without an issue, just left it on a radiator to dry out. Had a 760D before that which is not weather proof and that was fine after a night on the radiator.

That Sony doesn't do well ;)
I really wouldn't leave a camera on a radiator! That would give you condensation inside the camera from heating up the moisture (same applies when bringing in a camera from the cold, don't warm it up too quickly).

I don't baby my camera, I'll carry it around in the wet no problem, particularly if there are images to be had. If there are no images to be had or the rain gets so heavy that I'm not willing to hang around, then I'll put it away.

I would not shoot in the rain full stop unless it was my job obviously, I'm not rich enough to risk it

Shame - missing some great photo opportunities. Simple plastic bag and elastic bands can fashion an effective rain cover.

If had no problems with canon (5D,1D) in all conditions rain, hail and snow.

That would give you condensation inside the camera from heating up the moisture (same applies when bringing in a camera from the cold, don't warm it up too quickly).
You're confusing two issues here. The radiator (but I hope that it's not TOO hot!) is to make moisture that's got in evaporate and escape ...

A bit strange that they don't test the Pentax K1 as well, seeing as Pentax has by far the best weather sealing of any cameras.....I never thought twice about shooting in inclement weather with the K5.

I've been using Nikon for a while D800, D810, D850 and have never been worried about using them in the rain no matter how heavy, which is good as it rains here 99% of the time.

Weather sealing is very important to me when choosing a camera as I know I do not have control over the weather and do not want to be restricted by it.

The forgotten brand gets forgotten... we enjoy going out in the rain

Which one is that
Fuji Panasocnic or Pentax among others

A bit strange that they don't test the Pentax K1 as well, seeing as Pentax has by far the best weather sealing of any cameras.....I never thought twice about shooting in inclement weather with the K5.

Why I am not. I am surprise the Oly got a look in but I suspects its a matter of what they had to test.

Last edited:
MyOlympus E-M1 MK1 has had a much harder life than that I can tell you with salt water and rain.

Then there was the little amount of water it was subjected to at Niagara which made that test seem minor.

A little time in the sun at it was dry again and worked throughout with no problems.

Close-to-the-horseshoe by Alf Branch, on Flickr

It has also suffered this at the seaside for over there years as has my E-M5 ii

splash by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Not exactly a surprise the Sony didn’t do so well I really like my A7s but they are not a pro camera a fairer test might of been to use an A9.

but people ask 'who shoots Pentax' - I say those who go out in the rain, that's why we're never seen...

Even when I've been to somewhere that results a dusty, sandy, soaked or muddy camera my Pentaxes get showered when I get home. I don't even bother covering the cameras (K3 and K1) when I am in a shower...

but people ask 'who shoots Pentax' - I say those who go out in the rain, that's why we're never seen...

Even when I've been to somewhere that results a dusty, sandy, soaked or muddy camera my Pentaxes get showered when I get home. I don't even bother covering the cameras (K3 and K1) when I am in a shower...

I've seen exactly that done on mine exploration sites too, the cameras getting into a terrible state then being showered and surviving perfectly well. Likewise Olympus have always had excellent weather resistance, plenty of videos of them being chucked into swimming pools etc to demonstrate.

Now my X-T1 is not supposed to be weather resistant, but mine goes out in all weathers, though I don't give it as much of a hard time as I have my various Panasonics, the only one of which to suffer being the GH1 that got doused with champagne, even then the only fault being that the buttons became sticky. The X-T2 is reputed to not be as tough as the T1 and failures from light rain have been reported.

Back