How wide is the Neg from a 35mm panoramic camera ?

Edit My Images
Yes
How wide is the Neg from a 35mm panoramic camera ? I've been looking for fixed lens fully mechanical 135 camera. I've realized they are very hard to come by so will most likely go small SLR with a wide lens, On my search (eBay) I've come across multiple Panoramic cameras, although not suitable for what I wanted I just wondered how wide is the neg on one of these cameras ? will it vary from make to make or is there a fixed standard for this ?

Thanks all

How wide is the Neg from a 35mm panoramic camera ? I've been looking for fixed lens fully mechanical 135 camera. I've realized they are very hard to come by so will most likely go small SLR with a wide lens, On my search (eBay) I've come across multiple Panoramic cameras, although not suitable for what I wanted I just wondered how wide is the neg on one of these cameras ? will it vary from make to make or is there a fixed standard for this ?

Thanks all
Things like the xpan and the horizon? Or the cheap panoramic fixed 35mm jobs?

The cheap fixed nasty things are just a mask on the top and bottom.

The better machines will give you the aspect ratio the height is the same so the width is calculated easily enough.

I always thought it was twice (ish) the width of 35mm film?

72/77mm?

Most likely it will vary by manufacturer.

My Pentax MZ-7 and MZ-5 SLRs have a totally baffling "panoramic" mode, selected by a switch. It simply closes a mask on the film gate and in the VF.... a waste, but probably reflects the market of the day.

You can make a pano with a standard 50mm lens on a SLR...... problem is though the more shots you make, swinging the camera around, the width get smaller when stitching the JPGs together ...but I've done quite a few with just two shots and that's quite a good width after stitching.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I hadn't realized the cheaper ones were just masking part of the film to get the panoramic affect ( A bit of a waste of time). It's not really something wished to use it was just out of interest.

Thanks everyone, I hadn't realized the cheaper ones were just masking part of the film to get the panoramic affect ( A bit of a waste of time). It's not really something wished to use it was just out of interest.
I've got one if you want to have a play but yeah their not doing anything clever.

If you shoot Large format and can get a 5x7 back or camera, there are a couple of makes that offer 6x17 backs to fit. I think the widest lens you can get away with would be the Nikor 75mm or the Schneider 72mm XL
Adding a 6x17 onto a 4x5 back requires a spacer of about 20mm so could limit wide angle lenses

Last edited:
If you shoot Large format and can get a 5x7 back or camera, there are a couple of makes that offer 6x17 backs to fit. I think the widest lens you can get away with would be the Nikor 75mm or the Schneider 72mm XL
Adding a 6x17 onto a 4x5 back requires a spacer of about 20mm so could limit wide angle lenses
I've been pestering @stevelmx5 to make me one since he sold me a chroma. :)

I've seen a thing on aliexpress which basically replaces the back, moving teh whole assembly back a couple of cm, it has a gg you replace with a 6x17 roll film holder, but it's really quite expensive.

I've been pestering @stevelmx5 to make me one since he sold me a chroma. :)

I've seen a thing on aliexpress which basically replaces the back, moving teh whole assembly back a couple of cm, it has a gg you replace with a 6x17 roll film holder, but it's really quite expensive.
I already have a 5x7 to 6x17, so you don't need that extra couple of cm, I'm also waiting for Steve to put it up on his Web site, I also swapped my Super W Komura 75mm for a Nikor for the bigger image circle

Where's my 6x17 back? :ROFLMAO:
I’m testing out this Graflok conversion for my Six:9 and Six:12 cameras (each would need their own deducted Graflok plate).

B2B1E4BE-4A82-4135-B9F7-3BFBAFAE0FAB.jpeg0BA7EFB2-F3AE-410A-9183-7FD7E6B5F457.jpeg

As the entire rear body slides off, I can reverse spool a film reel and fit a lens cone, with what will be a red window, for frame spacing,

If I was ever to release a Six:17 (), there could be a matching Graflok plate for that too, although that would have to be moved backwards by 20-25mm to allow for the full coverage.

I’m testing out this Graflok conversion for my
If I was ever to release a Six:17 (), there could be a matching Graflok plate for that too, although that would have to be moved backwards by 20-25mm to allow for the full coverage.
Not with the 5x7 back

Back