Beginner How would you do this

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Been browsing the web trying to get some ideas for family portraits and found something I really like but not sure of the best way to achieve it. It's the 6th one down on this link (the one with the guy holding the frame and the family peeking out of the individual cutouts)

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creative-family-portraits/

Obviously it's individual pics stitched together in something like Photoshop but how would the initial shots be taken. Is it as simple as using a white cardboard frame 'prop' for the subject to hold\look through or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Each subject is looking through and holding a white cutout and then they are pasted onto the father's picture. The father is obviously holding a much larger cutout.

Great, sounds like it's a simple set up, just need to get the lighting right

Thanks for your help

Try clamping the frame to a pair of sandbagged lighting stands and shoot from a tripod to be sure that the lighting is the same in each shot.

fwiw this thread is tagged beginner. If you are new to off camera flash then practice on a single subject without the frame first. While it looks simple there are a few details to get right, especially if you are shooting in a small space.

Each subject is looking through and holding a white cutout and then they are pasted onto the father's picture. The father is obviously holding a much larger cutout.
More likely he's holding a large piece of card with no cut out whatsoever. No point making it harder on yourself by having to align cutouts over each other.

By the way, if you click through the image to the Flickr page beyond the photographer describes his lighting set-up.

By the way, if you click through the image to the Flickr page beyond the photographer describes his lighting set-up.

That's great, thanks for pointing it out. Whenever I've tried clicking through the image previously the link has always been dead so unlikely I would have tried again

Back