How would you have tackled this?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I recently covered a trade show stand in Earl's Court and had a fair few obstacles to overcome when shown the diagrams on what the stand was going to be like.

1) Piano black stand. I.e. the entire 40x40 foot stand was covered in the highly reflective piano black.
2) in the centre they had many chrome seats and tables.
3) The show was to primarily display the company's products. These products are touch screen betting terminals. 90% of terminals had some sort of black finish on them Matt or piano black along with the brightly lit touch screens.
4) Spot lights dotted around up top to make the surfaces have small specular highlights. These lights were also a mixture of fluorescent and what turned out to be closer to tungsten.
5) The room ambient sat at around 1600iso 60/sec. Generally tried to keep enough DOF to not always focus on a specific plain so was dialled to between 5.6 and 8.

My tasks were to catch the stand looking busy and get multiple shots of the terminals on there own, being played and also portraits with the guys who are managing the products.

There are a few other details I won't bother mentioning as compared to the few above they are run of the mill. :)

So, out of interest... how would you shoot this? Would you shoot for the highlights that were important and let everything else go? How would you light the stand and portrait shots?
It was an interesting challenge for me and I'm reasonably happy with my results.

Back