Beginner How zoom a Sony a7III?

Name
Cynthia Moore
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend loaned me his Sony a7III camera just before he went away for a week. He said he will have very limited access to email.

He said he had it all set up in Auto mode. I can get everything with the camera to work except for the zoom. He has several lenses in the camera bag. The one that is attached to the camera has "FE 1.8/35" written on it.

I downloaded the manual. It says something about pushing a button on the zoom ring. There is a button there, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Does anyone have one of these and can suggest how to make it zoom?

Thanks

The lens you have is likely a 35mm prime lens, which means it has a fixed field of view and won't zoom. The button probably switches it between manual focus and automatic focus.

Look for a lens in the bag that has x-y on there, e.g. 70-200 or 24-70. In other words 2 numbers. The first represents the widest field of view and the last (normally the bigger number) represents the narrowest. There is usually a rotating collar on the lens that when you turn it, will extend/retract the zoom function.

I know nothing about Sony but if it is a fixed focal length of 35mm the lens isn't going to zoom. :)

The lens you have is likely a 35mm prime lens, which means it has a fixed field of view and won't zoom. The button probably switches it between manual focus and automatic focus.

Look for a lens in the bag that has x-y on there, e.g. 70-200 or 24-70. In other words 2 numbers. The first represents the widest field of view and the last (normally the bigger number) represents the narrowest. There is usually a rotating collar on the lens that when you turn it, will extend/retract the zoom function.
Just to clarify this a bit.

A Prime Lens (fixed focal length) will have one wide rotating collar which allows you to manually focus the lens
A Zoom Lend (variable focal length) will have two wide rotating collars - one to change the zoom (focal length), the other to manually focus.

Both types of lenses MAY have an additional narrow rotating collar near the camera body end, which allows you to set the aperture - this will usually be marked with numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, etc. - simplest is to not touch this one if the lens has it and you are unsure!

The button on the lens is a focus lock button - but Sony cameras allow a lot of customisation of buttons, so it MAY have been set up to do something different - again, just leave it alone.

If it is for photographing your jigsaw, a fixed 35mm lens is likely a good bet though.

You are correct. The lens was fixed field. I was able to switch to a different lens and able to zoom. Thanks

Back