How?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I recently took some pictures of my friend at her wedding and want to edit the pictures in photoshop cs3(which i have)

What i want to know is this :

How do i cut out her and put her onto a different background? , ive tried the selection tool and it has a mind of its own!

Amy x

You Tube have some excellent videos on Photoshop. Just type in Photoshop and you will find something through the hundreds available to suit your cropping/cut.

Good luck

This is probably one of the harder(est) things to do properly.
- First of all you have to get the selection
- Then a suitable background of the correct perspective and lighting needs to be used.

There are some books and online guides available, but this is what I generally do..

Note: it is far easier, only really possible if the background and subject are contrasting, else you will be faffing for ages.
Duplicate the layer then use the magic brush and or quick selection tools (both are pretty good, for different subjects), but you'll need to fiddle with the settings to get it near ish. Apply this selection to a layer mask then use quick mask and a brush (easier with a graphics tablet) to refine the edges/missed bits.

This selection then needs to be feathered (edge refined) so that it blends in with the if its already a mask then a bit of gaussian blur can do the trick.

Once you've got a good selection you can plonk the new background in the same image, behind the top layer and start faffing with levels/saturation/dodge+burn etc to make the things look sensible together

Have fun

For cutting something complex ouy like a person the selection tool is, imho, not really good enough as it is very hit and miss on anything but clean clutter free edges. Ive tried loads of different ways of cutting out and also loads of different plugins, now most of my cuuting out is done with either Vertus Fluid MAsk or OnOne Mask Pro, you can download and trial both of them, but they do take a fair while to get used to how they work.

Back