howdy!

Name
james
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys and girls! brand new to all of this, in the market for a beginner camera, its all very confusing. looking at a Nikon d3500, seems to be a popular choice for a beginner, any other recommendations for me to research would be appreciated, what I want is someone to say "just buy this one" and save me the anxiety. feeling like this is new chapter in my life and can't wait to get started, learning, exploring and being creative.

Hi James, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Welcome to the forum James :welcome:

Buying your first camera is a daunting task! You will get umpteen suggestions, my hat throw is buy Fuji, I have a X-T4, love it and nice and light too!

Have fun whatever you decide upon, and get posting ;)

Hi and welcome James.

If just starting I'd go mirrorless rather than DSLR as I see many advantages in mirrorless. I can only see one advantage in DSLR's and it's that some of the kit is really cheap these days. I'd still rather go mirrorless though :D

Good luck choosing and have fun on the forum! :D

Welcome! choice paralysis is massive in photography so just buy this:

For a real beginner you dont need anything else. You can learn everything you need to about photography as a skill/art/hobby. And if you dont carry on you can probably sell it back to the shop for £50-£100

If this is something you think you will pursue then I agree with Woof. Mirrorless is the future so might as well start there as one day you will have to change it up if you go DSLR - could be 10 years could be 30 years. In this case get yourself down to the nearest camera shop that sells all brands and talk to the sales people. What you want to do is try every APS-C model from every brand. Ergonomics are up there with Lenses and features. My first "real" camera is fuji x-t30 and its great but very small for me and also turns out I dont like to manaully change the settings

You cant go wrong with any of the top brand entry level mirrorless with kit lenses if you want to buy current Nikon Z50, Canon R10/R7 and Fuji XT4 as a starter for 10.

If buying new and you can wait, Black Friday usually has good deals, cashback offers etc or even better buy used/ refurbed from somewhere like MPB and save some cash - treat yourself to a 35mm prime (50mm ff equivalent) and take it to all your family and friend events

Happy hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
hello and welcome

my recommendation find out what your friends have and have a go, see if it works for you, or go to a club and see if you could have a go with different ones

find what works for you and go with it

Back