howletts zoo pics

Nice pics on the whole.

I know you're open to CC so hopefully you'll find this useful. I agree that the lion is a quite soft but it looks like focus is on the wooden 'planks' which then makes the lion slightly out of focus. The tiger is slightly soft too but not too bad, possibly a bit of camera shake (see below). The gorilla doesn't look soft to me, just that you've focussed on the mouth/nose rather than the eyes. Two things that can help. Firstly use single point focus and focus on the eyes. You can have the eyes in focus and the nose etc slightly out of focus and it still looks right, the eyes are the most important. Also (as mentioned on the other thread) be careful of your shutter speed. Ideally it should be at last 1/effective focal length. I say effective focal length as I believe your camera is a crop body so need to apply the crop factor which on Canon is 1.6. This means you need to multiply everything by 1.6, so 100mm becomes 160mm, 200mm becomes 320mm and so on. So if you're shooting at 200mm ideally you want to be shooting at 1/320 or higher. Too slow a shutter speed can lead to camera shake and give soft images. Final note, just be careful of not using too much contrast and clarity in lightroom.

Back