Beginner HOYA filter question, D5300

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I bought a few second-hand 52mm Hoya filters for my D5300 recently and whilst I use clear filters to protect my lens glass, I was wondering about the others... is there a need for polarising, coloured and/or gradient filters if you take RAW and process with Adobe Lightroom anyway?

Cheers, Sam

Hi all,

I bought a few second-hand 52mm Hoya filters for my D5300 recently and whilst I use clear filters to protect my lens glass, I was wondering about the others... is there a need for polarising, coloured and/or gradient filters if you take RAW and process with Adobe Lightroom anyway?

Cheers, Sam
Polarising filters can achieve results PS / LR can't e.g. cut water reflection, other things such as contrasty skies etc. can be done in post. Coloured filters can largely be reproduced in post depending upon application. Grad's it gets a bit more complicated imo, some stuff can be mimic in post but other times without stacking multiply shots it's harder to do in post and one of those where getting it 'in camera' is preferable.

Polarising filters can achieve results PS / LR can't e.g. cut water reflection, other things such as contrasty skies etc. can be done in post. Coloured filters can largely be reproduced in post depending upon application. Grad's it gets a bit more complicated imo, some stuff can be mimic in post but other times without stacking multiply shots it's harder to do in post and one of those where getting it 'in camera' is preferable.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. Well it seems like I've probably got all I need for now then... clear filters to protect my lenses and a polarised filter to have a play with!

Cheers, Sam

The only filters you 'need' are a polariser and a selection of ND's because their effect cannot be easily replicated in post.

Some might add ND grads to that list, but IMHO good shooting and PP skills negate the need for grads.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. Well it seems like I've probably got all I need for now then... clear filters to protect my lenses and a polarised filter to have a play with!

Cheers, Sam

Use a lens hood for protection and the filter only when it's really needed, but not otherwise for best image quality. The problem is flare, not reduced sharpness (usually), when shooting into bright light.

The only filters you 'need' are a polariser and a selection of ND's because their effect cannot be easily replicated in post.

Some might add ND grads to that list, but IMHO good shooting and PP skills negate the need for grads.

Hi,

Bit of a newbie here I'm afraid... ND are 'neutral density' filters, right? If so, are the 'sunlight' or clear ones classed as ND? I think I might already have a gradient filter which came with another (clear) one which I bought off eBay... I haven't a clue where/when I would use it but it's there anyway.

Cheers, Sam

Use a lens hood for protection and the filter only when it's really needed, but not otherwise for best image quality. The problem is flare, not reduced sharpness (usually), when shooting into bright light.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Most of my photographs will be taken outside so I want to try and protect my lens the best I can from grit and the like. However, as I'm adding another layer of glass, I can appreciate how it might reduce image quality a little. I have a lens hood which came with a Nikkor which I bought but thought it was for shade? I guess it's good at protecting the end against bumps though.

Cheers, Sam

Hi,

Bit of a newbie here I'm afraid... ND are 'neutral density' filters, right? If so, are the 'sunlight' or clear ones classed as ND? I think I might already have a gradient filter which came with another (clear) one which I bought off eBay... I haven't a clue where/when I would use it but it's there anyway.

Cheers, Sam
ND filters are 'neutral density' meaning they limit light without adding a colour cast. The clear 'filters' aren't filters at all and are best used for weighing down the bin liner IMHO :)

Hi,
This is the 'filter' (?) which I've currently got on one of my lenses to try and keep the dirt and bay... is this a ND one or bin liner ballast?

IMG_1486422341.076499.jpg

Nowt wrong with that, older (0) model which is first rate:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.14-article-UV_filters_test_Hoya_72_mm_UV-0_-_Standard.html

Flaring in some situation aside, top class / value :)

Filters for pure protection basis have saved my bacon more than once. Stuffing a lens into a mud bank element first as i fell forwards while climbing up a slope springs to mind, and our over excited dog leaping up paw first inside the 'protective' lens hood on another occasion. Both of those times had no worries just using a sleeve to push mud and grit to the edges of the filter vs to the edge of the glass of a front element.

In summary UV / protection filters undoubtedly bad in a limited set of situation, but for the other 97% of the time they are fine ;)

Hi,
This is the 'filter' (?) which I've currently got on one of my lenses to try and keep the dirt and bay... is this a ND one or bin liner ballast?

View attachment 95314
Sorry, the subject of filters is a little divisive, as Richard says, use the hood for 'protection' unless you're in a really crappy environment.

Hoods:
Physically protect your lens
Reduce flare
Improve IQ

Filters:
Physically protect your lens
increase the risk of flare
Reduce IQ

Back