Hoya filters?

Edit My Images
No
This maybe a daft queation, but...
I've been looking around for a 67mm polarising filter for landscape shots, and Hoya seem to make some of the cheapest. In this instance, is it 'you get what you pay for'? Would I be better off looking at more expensive makes? I don't really want to spend a lot of money, but if more expensive makes are genuinely much higher quality, I would rather pay more.
Anyone have experience with them?

Compare:

Hoya 67mm polariser

With

Sigma 67mm Polariser

Hi Skintt - I can't comment on the Sigma but this photo was taken with a Hoya Circular Polariser. Seems to do a fair job to me. HTH.

hoya.jpg

regards

PS this is with the standard multi-coated, green label.

Dont forget that Hoya have multiple ranges of filters including standard multicoated (HMC), the Pro-1 and now the Pro-1D.
  • 1744 Hoya 67mm Pro 1-D Filter WB PL-CIR around £100
  • 1886 Hoya Filter 67mm Super HMC PRO-1 Circular Pola 8 around £85
I suppose it really depends on what lens you are putting it on as it would probably be pointless putting a £100 filter on a £200 lens but then would you want to risk possibly degrading your £1000 lens with a £20 filter.

Like mfwild said it depends what you are putting it on and....like everything else, you get what you pay for. But I bought a Jessops own brand cp, it was only for the kit lens and mainly to protect the lens itself @ about £16 like Stepheno, I think it does the job and if nothing else it protects my lens and is an intro to filters.

Thanks for the replies. It will be going on a 17-85mm IS USM, about £450 worth of lens so I might stump up a little more moolah :thumb:

multicoated filters are the things you want, saying that i have a set of cheap filters for the sigma and thats fine!

Check out B&W filters as well.

Back