Hoya HMC lenses.

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Did anyone have any experience of the above lenses?

I had a quick Google on my lunch and the 28mm 'reviews' seem reasonably positive. But I'm particularly thinking of a 35mm lens for my Yashica FX3.

£40ish vs £160ish Yashica ML imported vs £240+ for Carl Zeiss.

I do have an ML28 and ML50 but I like shooting at 35mm on my digital set up.

Thirty five would be equivalent to 52mm on a crop sensor. Unless you're full frame.

Thirty five would be equivalent to 52mm on a crop sensor. Unless you're full frame.

I know what focal length I want. I'm thinking of a 35mm prime to match what I shoot on Digital.

I just can't find much info or reviews about the Hoya lenses, especially the 35mm. And for how much film I shoot, I'm not sure I want to spend around £250 on a CZ 35mm.

Tamron adaptall? A zoom any good for you? Something to check out:-
I have quite a few Tamron lenses and they are VG although I did pick most of he ones recommended and others from bootsales or came with a camera.

Last edited:
Tamron adaptall? A zoom any good for you? Something to check out:-
I have quite a few Tamron lenses and they are VG although I did pick most of he ones recommended and others from bootsales or came with a camera.

I'm really looking for a prime lens. I have a Tokina SD standard range zoom somewhere which came with the FX3 back in the 90's.

I know what focal length I want. I'm thinking of a 35mm prime to match what I shoot on Digital.

I just can't find much info or reviews about the Hoya lenses, especially the 35mm. And for how much film I shoot, I'm not sure I want to spend around £250 on a CZ 35mm.
The 35mm ML is a good lens and from memory has the same 52mm filter thread as the ML 50mm s the YC Zeiss 35mm will be a 55mm filter thread. As it happens I have YC Zeiss lenses in 18mm, 25mm, 28mm, 45mm, 50mm and 85mm but my 35mm is a ML, with colour or B&W negative film or mounted on a digital camera I don't think you will notice the difference between the ML and the YC Zeiss after a trip through Photo Shop, if you were in a time machine shooting Kodachrome that could be different.
I would point you to some 35mm ML shots on my Flickr but there is only a couple shot with EOS 5D or 40D , my most used semi wide is the 45mm Tessar that came with my Aria which is very small.

I'm really looking for a prime lens. I have a Tokina SD standard range zoom somewhere which came with the FX3 back in the 90's.
Well another idea is to use a M42 adapter and e.g. VG Pentax 35mm lens

Well another idea is to use a M42 adapter and e.g. VG Pentax 35mm lens

I think I still have a C/Y to M42 adapter somewhere but iirc there was a noticeable bit of loose play with it obviously on the C/Y end.

M42 certainly opens up many more options though!

Sorry, didn't read your post properly.

M42 certainly opens up many more options though!
........and guys use M42 lenses on their digis. There is a forum on using all sorts of older manual focus lenses on digis and showing results.

........and guys use M42 lenses on their digis. There is a forum on using all sorts of older manual focus lenses on digis and showing results.

Yeah. I think I've gone past all that now. I have an adaptor for my Yashica mount but they've not been on the A7 for years and the A7Riii at all!

I've probably still got the M42 and FD to Sony E simply because they aren't worth selling on. And I've got Leica M mount.

Yeah. I think I've gone past all that now. I have an adaptor for my Yashica mount but they've not been on the A7 for years and the A7Riii at all!

I've probably still got the M42 and FD to Sony E simply because they aren't worth selling on. And I've got Leica M mount.
Well you have got the wrong film camera o_O ;) the Canon FD 35mm is an excellent lens and the M42 Pentax 35mm and Hexanon 40mm f1.8 are VG. For me I'm more into using a 20mm lens.
The only Hoya lens I have is a 135mm and it's very good but so are most 135mm lenses and is difficult, on a film camera, to see any difference.

Well you have got the wrong film camera o_O ;) the Canon FD 35mm is an excellent lens and the M42 Pentax 35mm and Hexanon 40mm f1.8 are VG. For me I'm more into using a 20mm lens.
The only Hoya lens I have is a 135mm and it's very good but so are most 135mm lenses and is difficult, on a film camera, to see any difference.

I had an Av1 for a while a few years ago. :) With a 28mm, 50mm and 85mm.

I have owned several Hoya primes over the years, 28mm and 24mm for Olympus OM they were OK, but my Tamron AD2s were in my opinion better build quality better image quality and more flexible. If it's Hoya you want though, I always find this site a good source of reviews:

Did anyone have any experience of the above lenses?

I had a quick Google on my lunch and the 28mm 'reviews' seem reasonably positive. But I'm particularly thinking of a 35mm lens for my Yashica FX3.

£40ish vs £160ish Yashica ML imported vs £240+ for Carl Zeiss.

I do have an ML28 and ML50 but I like shooting at 35mm on my digital set up.
Have you seen this Youtube review?

Back