Hoya NDx400

Not used the Hoya one but do have a B+W 10 and 6 stop ND filters.

Stuck one on the digi camera yesterday and took a couple of images. Should have spot metered on to a mid point grey recomposed and shot. As it was the sky was bright and the camera took that as a reading. Was after the moving clouds effect.

Have used it on the MF camera with some success when photographing clouds and water, but need to refine my process a bit more.

Oh the B+W (like the Hoya) are optically correct so there was colour cast or anything observed.

Has anyone ever used one of these ?
http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/oef-07.html

Interested to see some comments on its use

Nope, but like Knikki I use a B&W 10stop. Great filter, although does produce a unique style of pictures and requires some time and effort to use well. If you want to blur people out of scenes, or completely neutralise water movement, then extreme ND filters are great. :)

Edit; Some examples of the effect it has on water;

Beached_rock_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Bastion_of_Defence_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Ocean_oasis_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

:)

Nice images Khan really like them (not jealous honest :D)

Couple of questions

I assume (from the format) that your pictures were taken on film, did you use a really slow speed on like 50 or 100ISO?

Also do you find it better to get that type of effect on overcast days?

Thanks

Nice images Khan really like them (not jealous honest :D)

Couple of questions

I assume (from the format) that your pictures were taken on film, did you use a really slow speed on like 50 or 100ISO?

Also do you find it better to get that type of effect on overcast days?

Thanks

Cheers. Nope they were all shot digitally on a Nikon D40X. You just set the camaera to manual, crank the ISO as low as it will go, attach the filter and shoot away at something like 2-3 minutes per exposure.

And yes, overcast days are good. Fog even better. You can also get some nice effects when there are fast moving clouds in the sky. This summer I want to try some slightly different shots by using the ND10 with a polariser and deep red filter to try and get the skies jet black. :)

Thanks for the advice and sample pics, I ordered the B+W 1.8 (6 stop), so I'll have a play as soon at it arrives (on backorder as knowhere had any stock in 77mm).
Thanks Again

Back