HOYA POLARIZING FILTERS

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
does anyone on here use hoya polarizing filters, i'm guessing they are budget type as i've seen the one i'm after (82mm not the pro 1) for about £22 on ebay, if anyone one does could you give me some feedback on them, and possibly example shots with one being used, many thanks in advance (y)

Hi Tel, I have a 77mm Hoya Pro Digital polariser that I bought recently for a trip to Florida. I decided against going for a budget one as I was going to be using it on a 10-20 lens so I wanted to try and ensure the best quality I could get. Although the retail price for these is well over £100, you can pick them up for half that from an Amazon market place trader.

Example photo:

everglades.jpg

I ended up buying the Hoya pro version as I wasn't entirely happy with the look I got from my cheaper warming 'moose' version.

These were taken with a standard G series 77mm filter not the pro1 series. I'm happy with it for the time being.

Milestone... just clicked on your link, very good pics.

Thanks Rob, appreciated.

Tony

Just bought a 72mm Hoya CPL and it seems ok, not had the chance to use it too much though.

These were taken with a standard G series 77mm filter not the pro1 series. I'm happy with it for the time being.

thanks milestone, it looks like you got some nice results with that polarizer, i also looked at your other pics and there very impressive, may i ask where you purchased your polarizer from (y)

thanks also to the other posters for there contributions to this thread (y)

Thanks Tel. (y)

I bought it off ebay from Surrey Photographic clicky

Tony

Thanks Tel. (y)

I bought it off ebay from Surrey Photographic clicky

Tony

thanks for the link tony, just took a look but unfortunately they only have the pro 1 range in 82mm £140 :eek: think i will have to look at one of the HK suppliers.

Tel48, I just recalled I started a thread when I bought mine last year. I didn't know how to link to a thread so have just cut and paste my last reply and link to the filter at around £45 for the pro.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._promot_widget

I can't check link again right now as am at work, but hopefully the price still stands.

Also, just noticed you are a fellow MK'er. Are you a member of any of the local photo clubs?

Jas

Sorry for threadbutting.. but what exactly do the different kinds of filters do?

Chicca,

if you own a pair of sunglasses and look through them on a bright day, most of them have polarized lenses. They help cut out the brightest harsh light and cut down reflection.

A Polarizer works in a similar way on your camera lens and a circular Polarizer has a front part that rotates to adjust the lens a little to allow you to decide how much light / reflection it cuts out. Not sure if your question was only regarding diff types of polarizers or all filters? There are also lots of other filters, some coloured, some graduated for different applications about changing the light that comes into your camera lens before you take the shot.

Hope that helps.

There have probably been better explanations than mine which you will be able to find if you do a Talk Photography search on 'filters'.

Ooh I shall have to invest in a polarizing filter then, as I keep getting a glare effect on the UV one I have when shooting outside.
x

That maybe because you are shooting into the sun or at an angle towards the sun. A polarizer may help, but may not eliminate completely if you are shooting into the sun.

A Polarizing filter tends to be most effective when at a right angle to the sun (i.e. 90 degrees).

Tel48, I just recalled I started a thread when I bought mine last year. I didn't know how to link to a thread so have just cut and paste my last reply and link to the filter at around £45 for the pro.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._promot_widget

I can't check link again right now as am at work, but hopefully the price still stands.

Also, just noticed you are a fellow MK'er. Are you a member of any of the local photo clubs?

Jas

thanks for the link jas unfortunately it's not working, i always have the same problem when trying to post ebay links not sure why though, no not a member of any MK club's i do believe there is one in furzton though, funnily enough i think i seen you about 4 weeks ago walking through the theatre district with your lady, and your camera gear, i realized after i had seen your photo on here, i think it was the bandana that stood out :D, i was sitting outside one of the pub's having a beer, if i see you in MK again i will say hello (y)

Hello Confusedcihcca
In terms of polarizer’s there are linier and circular types.
Both will darken the blue in skies and remove reflections from shiny materials (such as glass and glossy foliage)
The two types are not delineated by their shape i.e. you can have a square (cokin) shaped circular polarizer and a round (Hoya) linear polarizer.
The difference is in the pattern of the opposing plains of material.
It is generally accepted that linear polarizer’s are more effective, however they foul up systems using beam splitters such as AF and multi pattern metering systems.
As a result circular polarises are the order of the day for the vast majority of modern camera owners.
All polarises achieve the best result at an angle. I forget the exact numbers but it’s something like 33.3 degrees for land and 37.5 for water. That is to say to remove most reflections from a window you would need to have the polarizer about 30 degrees to the glass.
Because of their properties polarises will often enhance colour rendition by removing extraneous reflections.
With the advent of ultra wide lenses at low prices Pro style filter have sprung up. With polarises these are generally in a very thin mounting ring to prevent vignetting at the wide angle end, they often have better coatings than the standard type as well.

I hope this will be of some interest.
Ilikebowens

Thanks thats very helpful.
x

Maybe worth asking Kerso, I bought my filters from him recently.

thanks for the link jas unfortunately it's not working, i always have the same problem when trying to post ebay links not sure why though, no not a member of any MK club's i do believe there is one in furzton though, funnily enough i think i seen you about 4 weeks ago walking through the theatre district with your lady, and your camera gear, i realized after i had seen your photo on here, i think it was the bandana that stood out , i was sitting outside one of the pub's having a beer, if i see you in MK again i will say hello

Tel48, that was me indeed. That area can be a favourite spot as the Art Gallery is quite eye catching as a background and I was back there to try and get some 'reflection' shots in July, not for the TPF competition. Although I wear a bandana, I'm not that scary really so feel free to say hello.

If I remember, I will look up and post the link again.

Justa heads up that Hoya Pro1D filters are the same as Kenko Pro1D filters. Kenko is the domestic brand name, Hoya the export name.

Searching Ebay for Kenko filters can save $$$
I picked up a Kenko Pro1D filter, 72mm, for £30 delivered.

I have a hoya 62mm pro1D c-pl filter and it works great, very happy with it. I bought it from a hong kong seller on ebay for a bargain price that I can't now recall. It was very cheap though.

droskyn3.jpg

That was taken using a regular green box hoya circular polarizer. Seems to work ok.

Justa heads up that Hoya Pro1D filters are the same as Kenko Pro1D filters. Kenko is the domestic brand name, Hoya the export name.

Searching Ebay for Kenko filters can save $$$
I picked up a Kenko Pro1D filter, 72mm, for £30 delivered.

Hi, Are you sure of that?

I've read on other photography forums that they are not the same and have a different coating procedure and material.
I hope they are the same, as you say, the difference in price makes them a very attractive alternative to the Hoya's :)

This image was taken with Hoya budget polariser (too big to post)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/Alderney/DSCF0652.jpg

This one with the Pro version

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/Abstract Photos/Dscf1944.jpg

The Pro version has AR coatings and is capable of producing a very deep blue skies(almost black- so dark you might not like the effect!). So I assume the polarising material is better and has a better extinction ratio?. You'll only get the real benefit of the AR coatings if you're shooting into the light. Since the polarising/sky darkenening effect works best at 90 degrees from the sun- in most cases you won't be aiming near sun anyway.

Great Pictures Laser :)

I actually quite like having the sun in some of my shots so the Pro filter is the one for me I think.

Question still remains whether Hoya and Kenko are actually the same but rebranded...theres about £30 difference between them :eek:

I have both Hoya and Kenko Pro1D filters and I'm as sure as I an be (without doing extensive testing) that they're the same. They certainly look and feel the same and both are branded as having the same coatings, ultrathin glass, low profile frame and same construction. (Naturally, this assumes that you're comparing the Po1Ds from both ranges; the different ranges do, indeed, have different coatings.) I'm very pleased with them.

A quick google seach reveals both to be makde by Tokina in Japan.

I have to say, for £30 cheaper than the Hoyas, I've been very pleased. :)

Hi Scoop,

That's convinced me....The Kenko it is :)

Thanks (y)

Back