Hoya Pro-1D Protector Filter

Defiance

Green and Hairy
Edit My Images
Yes
I came across this while looking for a circular polariser filter. It looks like a good idea use this to protect my new 18-200 VR.

Could anyone let me know the pros and cons of such a filter please.

Pro: Protects lens, completes weather sealing on certain Canon lenses.

Cons: Slight reduction in IQ, it costs money for negligible benefit, may vignette with additional filters on ultra wide lenses.

That's about it really, personally I would got for a UV filter as they have the additional benefit of reducing UV haze.

I cannot see how a top-notch UV filter such as the Hoya pro 1D can degrade IQ...

The cheap and nasty brands WILL do so 7/10 times.

A UV (IMHO) is an absolute must but buy the good stuff (Hoya)

I cannot see how a top-notch UV filter such as the Hoya pro 1D can degrade IQ...

They do though, you'd have to have the peepers of Stevie Wonder not to notice this.

They do though, you'd have to have the peepers of Stevie Wonder not to notice this.

Do you have examples to show?

I used to use to Hoya Pro1`s on all my lenses Anton, I took them off and noticed an improvement. I keep one in my bag now simply in case I shoot where stones and stuff may be flying around.

Any filter must degrade IQ by some amount. An extra surface means more reflections bouncing around the lens and therefore less contrast.

OTOH as Thom Hogan points out, if you scratch the lens then then some light will be refracted off the scratch and bounce around the lens causing... less contrast.

So using a filter for protection seems a bit :wacky:

Any filter must degrade IQ by some amount. An extra surface means more reflections bouncing around the lens and therefore less contrast.

OTOH as Thom Hogan points out, if you scratch the lens then then some light will be refracted off the scratch and bounce around the lens causing... less contrast.

So using a filter for protection seems a bit :wacky:

Point taken but if you look after it, clean it regularly and don't pull it through the ring it is a helluvalot better than replacing a lens when you do get a ding

Would still like to see how much IQ is lost...

I used to use to Hoya Pro1`s on all my lenses Anton, I took them off and noticed an improvement. I keep one in my bag now simply in case I shoot where stones and stuff may be flying around.

I even have some extras in my bag, problem is, with my luck the first stone will hit before I could put on a UV...:bang:

So screw Murphy, I keep 'em on all the time;) If I sacrifice 1% IQ, so be it(y)

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking forward to seeing 'em.....

Yep!

You see it is easy to make sweeping statements which could impress or confuse newer folks to photography.

I now want those who have a problem with UV filters to show some form of proof as to how a top-notch Hoya UV filter will degrade IQ.

And to what extent if at all...

I know and have learned first hand how a cheap and nasty UV DOES degrade IQ but using top quality specimens AND keeping them clean...:cautious:

I need convincing:rules:

I'm tempted to do some with-and-without tests myself. Stay tuned to this channel...

If anyone's interested, I did some with-and-without tests. You can see them - and try to guess which are with the filter and which are without - here.

Back