Hoya r72 filter - Light loss

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got an R72 filter on the way and wondered if anyone can advise please the filter factor in stops. Or is it a question of trial and error

Trial and error - the sensitivity of the camera sensor to IR is too big a factor, and you don't mention which camera you're fitting it to.

I find it's somewhere around 9-11 stops on my Nikon D750 (I haven't pinpointed it exactly). One of the biggest problems I've come across is hotspots created by lenses, some lenses are excellent and some unusable because of the huge hotspot they create.

Last edited:
I find it's somewhere around 9-11 stops on my Nikon D750 (I haven't pinpointed it exactly). One of the biggest problems I've come across is hotspots created by lenses, some lenses are excellent and some unusable because of the huge hotspot they create.

Would pretty much agree with 9-11 stops, thats pretty much my experience with a Canon EOS-M with a 760nm filter on. It will vary with weather/cloud conditions too, so a ballpark figure is about the best you can expect.

The R72 has a filter factor of 16 (which equates to 4 stops) but knowing this doesn't really help you figure out the exposure time as other variables will affect it.....namely the amount of IR reflected from the subject and the efficiency of the IR blocking filter built into the camera body.

Bobn

Back