Huawei P20 Pro Phone

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I picked up the new Huawei phone last week and I have been blown away by the quality from a mobile phone. The extra 80mm equivalent telephoto lens is great and has led to me selling my compact camera. The hybrid zoom that becomes the 135mm equivalent is incredibly well implemented.
And all this is extra to the main sensor, the 40mp 1/1.7" RGB. The software in the phone gives you the option to use the full 40mp or can produce 10mp photos using pixel binning processing to increase light sensitivity.
The phone has some clever software, allowing handheld shots at night with long exposures, and I also tested out another long exposure mode to smooth water without an ND filter in daylight!
Water smoothing mode. by Ben Gray, on Flickr

Nice shot! I got one too, but apart from a few test snaps, yet to use it properly. The 3x lens will be useful, I'm sure. What's it like in manual mode and the 5x hybrid mode?

The portrait images I've seen in reviews looked horrendously over-processed. I'm assuming that's just poor testing :) Have you tried it for that type of shot yet, and can you get decent and natural results?

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday but not got round to playing with it yet,Im hoping it will replace my recently sold compact,going off the reviews its seems quite capable.
Looking forward too seeing more pics taken with it.

Nice shot! I got one too, but apart from a few test snaps, yet to use it properly. The 3x lens will be useful, I'm sure. What's it like in manual mode and the 5x hybrid mode?
5x hybrid zoom is very well implemented and retains far more detail than I expected.

The portrait images I've seen in reviews looked horrendously over-processed. I'm assuming that's just poor testing :) Have you tried it for that type of shot yet, and can you get decent and natural results?
The portrait mode still adds the beauty filter even when it's set to 0. You're better off using normal photo mode or aperture mode.

Mine arrived yesterday but not got round to playing with it yet,Im hoping it will replace my recently sold compact,going off the reviews its seems quite capable.
Looking forward too seeing more pics taken with it.
I've put all my p20 pro photos in This Album on flickr

Had a look at the album but they just look like mediocre phone pictures.

But if it beats your compact enjoy! smaller in the pocket.

There’s a 1:1 and low light comparison to a Canon 5DR on Petapixel.

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/20/huawei-p20-pro-vs-canon-5ds-r-im-stunned/

You’ll be surprised at how well the Canon manages to keep up! Just saying!
That's a really good comparison article. Showing the strengths and weaknesses equally based on the shots. It definitely puts across similar feelings towards the phone camera that I have from using it.
What they've done is pretty impressive when you consider the size of the phone, the potential for mirrorless cameras with the space available in the bodies is extremely exciting.

That's a really good comparison article. Showing the strengths and weaknesses equally based on the shots. It definitely puts across similar feelings towards the phone camera that I have from using it.
What they've done is pretty impressive when you consider the size of the phone, the potential for mirrorless cameras with the space available in the bodies is extremely exciting.
A mobile phone outclassing a full frame sensor in low light using fancy computer software. Where’s my pitchfork!

Just saw this topic now.

I pre ordered this phone and got mine on 6th of April.
Has being playing a lot with it in the past month and I like it.
As many people mentioned the phone overproccess and over sharpens the photos, but it has so many diff modes to shoot, so it is not a very big problem.

Here are a few examples from today's walk in Epping forest.
I have lots of other images, which I will upload slowly on flickr.

Epping forest with P20 Pro by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

I like it. It gives you so many different modes and settings to shoot. And it is in your pocket. And no one is looking at you suspicious.

Will update with more photos, when I have time.

The phone camera v compact camera debate has probably been done to death. In average to good lighting conditions then photos from some of today's smartphone cameras will take some beating, and in poorly lit dusk type conditions they have some tricks up their sleeves to produce acceptable images of patios, bars and groups of friends indoors.

However, put a phone camera in a situation where you need the power of the built-in flash on a good compact camera (such as a building surveyor taking interior shots of unlit attic spaces, cellars, etc.) and you'll find one of the major limitations of phone cameras. And for that reason I won't be ditching the compact camera just yet, and that certainly didn't cost me nearly £800 either!

Whatever your views on the merits of camera phones, I'm impressed with the capabilities of the P20 Pro, particularly its low light / tricky light performance and the optical/hybrid zoom. Here's some unedited snaps, straight out of camera - not for critique!

IMG_20180530_102419 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180531_140455 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180530_121655 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180516_115523 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180516_115517 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180516_115512 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180506_195216_1 by paul bevan, on Flickr

IMG_20180421_064301 by paul bevan, on Flickr

My contract with VF is up in 2 months, I know they'll try get me to stay on by offering me a new phone - The P20 is one of their current line up. I'll do the usual pondering, and then decide I don't actually need a new phone, I rarely ever use the camera on them no matter how decent. I'm more concerned with the processing speed, wi-fi, blue tooth etc ... I have a camera for photos, and the camera on the Xaomi Redmi note 3 Pro I have atm is plenth good enough for outdoor snap shots.

Nothing here makes me want to upgrade any more so either, the usual ok images in good light, and any that go above 100 ISO turn to mush. Even the highest end phone cams do this. Detail gets lost very quickly when you try push them in low light, even rainy day light tbh.

There’s a 1:1 and low light comparison to a Canon 5DR on Petapixel.

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/20/huawei-p20-pro-vs-canon-5ds-r-im-stunned/

You’ll be surprised at how well the Canon manages to keep up! Just saying!

Where's the surprise? I could tell which was which without reading a word, the bathroom images just show how terrible phone cams still are in low light. The Canon eats it alive, even the multi-combination shot from the phone doesn't live up, and that's absolutely useless for anything barely moving

Last edited:
I'm not interested in a discussion on camera phones vs DSLRs vs compacts vs Box Brownies. Each serves a purpose in its own way.

I imagine the OP posting this thread in the Equipment section was designed to showcase the capabilites of the P20 Pro and invite qualified comment and I for one am interested in users' experience of theirs in comparison to other flagship models such as the ones from Samsung, Apple and Google.

Xiaomi offer great balance between affordability and performance with their range of phones, there are plenty of anecdotal reviews to support that. But the Huawei is not in that league or price point but I'm finding it to be excellent value for money.

I came from an LG G4 and prior to that a Galaxy S5. There is no comparison between those phones, or indeed between my 80D, 350D and EOS M.

If anyone reading this has direct experience of an S8/S9, Iphone X or Pixel AND the P20 Pro, then reading their comments would be time well spent, for me.

@Meeten

subjective of course but I'm very happy with mine. Excellent camera, manual control inc RAW, super fast and smooth operation, slick software (with Nova Launcher) and excellent battery life. Plus if you're into quality sound/headphones the inclusion of LDAC and Dolby Atmos is right up there for music and films on the commute.
Again I am comparing to what I've used previously.

Oh and I can use it to make calls too. Bonus!

subjective of course but I'm very happy with mine. Excellent camera, manual control inc RAW, super fast and smooth operation, slick software (with Nova Launcher) and excellent battery life. Plus if you're into quality sound/headphones the inclusion of LDAC and Dolby Atmos is right up there for music and films on the commute.
Again I am comparing to what I've used previously.

Oh and I can use it to make calls too. Bonus!

Whilst I do not NEED a new phone (I have a Nexus 5x), I am interested in getting a new one that has a longer battery life.
As I am on a SIM ONLY deal, the £800 upfront cost of the phone is a bit buttock clenching......

Whilst I do not NEED a new phone (I have a Nexus 5x), I am interested in getting a new one that has a longer battery life.
As I am on a SIM ONLY deal, the £800 upfront cost of the phone is a bit buttock clenching......
Price will come down. They were offering free Bose QC35 headphones for preorders which is why I bit when I did. Plus got a good deal with Vodafone retentions so over 2 years for me works out at £720 for phone, Spotify premium and the headphones (which I've decided I don't want incidentally).
If you hold off a bit a deal will come along or check ebay for anyone selling their new phone but keeping the headphones!

Edit: and yes, I came from Sim only at £11 pm so buttock clenching is a good description!

Last edited:
I used it all week at download and the quality of my pictures compared to everyone else I know with a different phone was head and shoulders above.
The only other person I know who has it that was there took great looking pictures despite only having had it 2 days to learn how it works before going to the festival.

I see Huawei overtook Apple in terms of global mobile phone sales in Q2. Second only to Samsung.

Back