Huawei Phones

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

it it still worth getting a Huawei Phone since the loss of Google ?

My contract is coming up for renewal around xmas and I’m interested in the P40 Pro. Does anyone still use Huawei or have just moved to them or are most IPhone users?

Cheers

Andy

I’ve had a couple of Huawei phones and they were excellent. I actually sold mine a week before google announced they were stopping support, which was handy.
I use gmail, maps, google pay and many other google services so I couldn’t be without them. If you aren’t bothered by that, then the phones themselves are great.

I am on my second P30 lite ( I dropped the first one and it was not worth repairing). I am very pleased with them particularly the new P30 as it has more ram and storage, it is also the last one to have all the google services (due to US sanctions )the P40 does not hence the "new " P30 which uses the upgrade to get round the sanctions, also its on offer at sub £200 for black friday .
I got mine from john Lewis and paid £80 odd for two years accidental damage ( Currys don't offer this ).

Hi Guys,

it it still worth getting a Huawei Phone since the loss of Google ?

My contract is coming up for renewal around xmas and I’m interested in the P40 Pro. Does anyone still use Huawei or have just moved to them or are most IPhone users?

Cheers

Andy

Could the situation with them change in 2021 what with the US election results? Maybe too late for you though.

I have the older Huawei P20 pro
But perhaps we have let ourselves become too dependant on google
there are alternative to everything that the do that do not chase you around the internet all the time
If you use Google for everything. they know everything about you.
You are effectively bought.
It would be worth checking what is on offer and what google services you can download with out having Google preloaded on the phone when you buy it.

@Terrywoodenpic I've been watching a few uTube video's and there are plenty of ways around Google or things that you can use. The only thing I want is to have google on my iMac and that is through the website and not the app.

I don't know what security is used on Huawei but there is probably a good chance on XDA forums that there are custom Roms available.
I used custom Roms on my Samsung S1 and S3 before Samsung introduced Knox security and the guys developing ofter did a much better job that Google did with stock Android.

If you are after chi-com phone then xiaomi will happily offer you a ridiculously broad range of choices to suit any budget. Apple is also chi-com, but there is now some talk they are looking into moving some factories to vietnam. I absolutely despise iOS, so really if you are about to drop £1k on a pretty much disposable device then perhaps look at top of the line Samsung. Once you get past £150-200 mark there is very little to gain other than cameras which we shouldn't care about (they are crap regardless) and more gaming power which is pointless at least to me.

I run a 2 year old Huawei and have no issues. I've never had a Google app, and continue to use Chrome as my browser which opens to Google as it's home page - same as I've always done.

I run a 2 year old Huawei and have no issues. I've never had a Google app, and continue to use Chrome as my browser which opens to Google as it's home page - same as I've always done.

It doesn’t have Play Store, Maps, GMail, YouTube, Drive, Play Music, Play Movies, Duo, Photos, Docs, Sheets, Slides on it?
Chrome is a Google app.

I've just opened play store, maps and YouTube apps with no problem! Perhaps its just because it's an old phone?

Last edited:
Talk kindly to Biden, and Huawei might get Google back.

My first Android phone was a Huawei, which was excellent for its time, but unless you actively don't want to use Google, any Huawei without Google services seems more trouble than it's worth at the moment when there's so much choice elsewhere. Hopefully the political nonsense will be fixed soon.

I personally wouldn't touch them at the moment. It's not just the loss of Google apps, it's the loss of Play Services that is the biggest killer. Play Services is responsible for an awful lot of functionality on a modern Android phone, even if you never use any of the Google apps.

cant you just install google play services on it anyway? ive had a few phones from china / mainland which have their own OS's and managed to put google bits and bobs on all of them.

I've had 2 Huawei phones which were both really good.
Previously I had an iphone 5 which I detested - battery life was abysmal.
I'd not heard of Huawei at the time but I was pleasantly surprised.
Now on a Samsung which I think is the best yet!!

Back