Humax FOX HDR T2 and NAS

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
OK this has me stuck,

Panasonic TV, Humax Fox HDR T2 and Buffalo 2TB Pro Duo NAS all on my network. All the above see each other without a problem.

So, I put an mp4 file onto the NAS which the TV will see when NAS is accessed as media server via TV, you can also access NAS as media server via Humax menu.

This is where the problem starts, the mp4 will not play via TV or Humax, comes up file not supported.

If the said mp4 is put onto an external USB drive and conected to the Humax via USB port, the file plays ok.

My question is where does the problem lie, TV, Humax, how the DLNA drive is set up ?

Thanks

Stu

does the buffalo offer any transcoding?

Not a clue Neil, you just set a folder to have DLNA server properties and thats all I can find.

Looking further on web, it seems it's a problem with different codecs being available for usb ports and not ethernet.

Seems the solution is to have a Raspberry Pi on the back of tv via HDMI, run an XBMC player on it and it will play anything.

Seems nothing is straight forward these days...

Stu

Seems the solution is to have a Raspberry Pi on the back of tv via HDMI, run an XBMC player on it and it will play anything.
It will choke on DTS soundtracks which is what you might have if you rip BluRays for example....

The only reliable platform I've found for xbmc is a small form factor PC. Or just get a WD Live

DLNA is a pain in the behind as far as I'm concerned as the "standard" codecs are not supported by everything.

I came across the same problem when building a DLNA server with a Samsung TV and mkv files. I was going down the codec/transcoding route (not understanding how it could be a codec if it played fine from usb). However, the solution in this case was not a codec but the Samsung required custom HTTP headers present.

Just another possibility to consider along with codecs.

Back