Hunting Barn Owl (last one for a while, promise :))

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken in Lincolnshire recently :)

Barn_Owl57a.jpg

Nice work :)

There appears to be some strange pixellation going on at the bottom (some of it might be flying bugs).. it's quite bad in the bottom left corner.. JPEG compression perhaps?

how big are you guys looking at this ? lol i cant make out anything you are seeing on my machine.

Paul, wheres the noise ? the bird or the background ? Only ask because i have run NR on the background, but not the bird, and yes had to pull the exposure back quite a bit.

Bottom left may be down to my clumsy cloning, there was a stalk there, should have left it, but knew someone would say "should have cloned that out" lol May have another look if at it. Actually have zoomed right in and can see what you mean, odd, cant see it at normal resolution, you must have a 30inch screen lol

Last edited:
Ian - bird looks great - it's some of the shadowy bits in the background, particularly between sky and ground. It's not an issue - just looked noisier than I would have expected for ISO125 that's all.

Nope, 13" Macbook screen :) It does have a habit of showing up even the slightest anomaly though, especially white background stuff!

Just out of curiosity, how come you are only using ISO125 and 'suffering' (it's not effected this shot.. but could quite easily do so with the focal length and motion blur) with 1/250 as your shutter speed?

A brand new 1D IV and not using any of it's possible potential :D

Nope, 13" Macbook screen :) It does have a habit of showing up even the slightest anomaly though, especially white background stuff!

Just out of curiosity, how come you are only using ISO125 and 'suffering' (it's not effected this shot.. but could quite easily do so with the focal length and motion blur) with 1/250 as your shutter speed?

Hmm ive got a 15" macbook pro, and it doesnt show that ? Is yours one of the newer ones ? may explain it.

It was a grab shot and was on Auto ISO as an experiment, i wouldnt normally chose an ISO that wasnt standard, ie would normally chose, 100, 200, 400, 800 etc

Hmm ive got a 15" macbook pro, and it doesnt show that ? Is yours one of the newer ones ? may explain it.

It was a grab shot and was on Auto ISO as an experiment, i wouldnt normally chose an ISO that wasnt standard, ie would normally chose, 100, 200, 400, 800 etc

I'm on a 4 year old Black Macbook, so not even the pro model :shrug:

Ah right.. certainly not bad for a grab shot then, and nice to see it performed well getting the exposure (y)

Have fun in Norfolk! :)

Phil - for me, it's the 1/125s that makes the picture. It gives just "enough" blur on the wings, that would be lost with a faster shutter. It's how I often work as well...

Phil - for me, it's the 1/125s that makes the picture. It gives just "enough" blur on the wings, that would be lost with a faster shutter. It's how I often work as well...

It's not shot at 1/125s though ;) I know exactly what you mean though.. and fair enough to Ian for testing out what his new camera can do re. the auto ISO! I use it on my MKIII (albeit, a long way round) for sports stuff and it's a great feature to make use of.

Great shot Ian.

Something that's on my to do list. I've never seen one yet let alone managed to get the camera on one, so it's a minor ambition.

Back