Hunting Hawks

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been invited by a Hawking group who hunt on farms (For the farmer) with their hawks - Harris and goshawks I believe. Will be out in the countryside but I've never done this sort of photography before so am after some advice if possible. I will be taking a 7dmk2 a 6d with a sigma 150-600 and a Canon 80-200 2.8L. Only other bird photos I've took have been out of hides or at the park (Did do a boat rip on Skye). Basically any advice on capturing the bird catching its quarry is what I'm after.

Last edited:
Rather than single focus point, use group/9 points. Fastish SS, maybe around 1/1200 - 2000th sec. If shooting against a bright sky, dial in some + EV (I'm no expert btw, Bob & I'm sure some of the experts will be along with better advice)

Cheers Carl, setting the camera up now - cant see me using it till the weekend now

Thanks for the advice lads, Had a great day out on Saturday - much harder than I expected! got some good results but got a lot of rubbish as well!! Going to take a lot of practice I think. Some photos here on my flickr, not sure about posting them as they might offend a few people.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/madmackem/albums/72157657424627054

I'd appreciate any comments :)

Thanks for the advice lads, Had a great day out on Saturday - much harder than I expected! got some good results but got a lot of rubbish as well!! Going to take a lot of practice I think. Some photos here on my flickr, not sure about posting them as they might offend a few people.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/madmackem/albums/72157657424627054

I'd appreciate any comments :)
Well done for getting your shots. There are some nice shots of the Goshawk on the rabbit (nice to see a Gos with a backpack).
The Harris did well too.

Really struggled with getting the shots at first. There were 7 birds out panning with the siggy was difficult ended up around 200mm on most shots and cropped!
Loved the way the dogs and birds worked together. 24 kills on the day - by all accounts that was a poor showing as they average 40. Possibility of going out with a couple of Golden Eagles soon as well.

Really struggled with getting the shots at first. There were 7 birds out panning with the siggy was difficult ended up around 200mm on most shots and cropped!
Loved the way the dogs and birds worked together. 24 kills on the day - by all accounts that was a poor showing as they average 40. Possibility of going out with a couple of Golden Eagles soon as well.
Glad you enjoyed it... you did well considering... I know it isn't as easy as it looks.
Good luck with the Goldies, and look forward to seeing your shots.

Very difficult to get, but achievable
Plenty of practice require, which will probably not get on one day

Good luck

Cheers, next job is Iceland holiday then hopefully I'll be out again with the hawking lads.

Back