Hurricane VS ME-109 Dogfight

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
British Hurricane dogfights with German ME109 during an aerial display at the Victory Show 2011.
I have never been able to capture an acceptable dog fighting shot so i was very pleased with this one so i thought i would share - even if its not quite perfect.

This particular Hurricane actually flew during the battle of Britain. I am not sure about the ME109's history.

Click the image for larger version

I thought the same thing! Very impressive.

I have been corrected (and this is confirmed from the event program) that the ME109 is actually a spanish variant named a Buchon.

That partiular Hurricane flew 49 sorties from Croydon and shot down five enemy aircraft During the Battle of Britain.

There's a few easy ways to spot a buchon, it's got the Rolls Royce Merlin engine in, so it sounds like a spitfire, the Me had a Daimler Benz that sounded rougher and lower in tone. Also the exhaust ports are at the top of the engine cowling a la spitfire, the Daimler engine is inverted, so the ports are at the bottom.

I don't think there are any Me's flying in the UK with the Daimler engine since black 6 had a heavy landing.

I'm envious of the dog fight shot too :(
I had a hard drive fail a few years ago that took some shots of a spit and a faux Me having a play over the Duxford museum.

Nicely captured.

Back